The Legend of Cesar Valdez

Three Run Homer

Where did this guy come from?  Has he been pitching in Mexico or overseas all these years?  According to BB-Ref he pitched in MLB as far back in 2010 and as recently as 2017, without much success and never more than a cup of coffee.  

He's great fun to watch.  I don't think he ever throws a fastball.  Everything is slow or slower, but he gets lots of movement and throws strikes.  He seems unflappable, befitting a 36-year old baseball lifer who's probably seen it all.    

I see no reason not to give him the chance to win the closer job for the rest of the year and going into next season.  He strikes me as a folk hero in the making.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, now said:

In the mold of Nelson Cortes but with better stuff and more command and experience. Let's hope it continues to play.

You mean Nestor? I don't see much comparison beyond not throwing too hard. Cesar is right handed and throws the changeup 80% of the time. Changeup is not even the right word because he plays the FB off the CH instead of vice versa. This guy is unlike any pitcher I have ever seen. He reminds me more of a knuckleballer in his approach and the action on his "changeup". Remains to be seen if he can sustain his success but I can't wait to see him pitch again. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

You mean Nestor? I don't see much comparison beyond not throwing too hard. Cesar is right handed and throws the changeup 80% of the time. Changeup is not even the right word because he plays the FB off the CH instead of vice versa. This guy is unlike any pitcher I have ever seen. He reminds me more of a knuckleballer in his approach and the action on his "changeup". Remains to be seen if he can sustain his success but I can't wait to see him pitch again. 

Oops, you're right: Nestor. What I was thinking of was not only the soft assortment, but the variable funky arm angles. The key as with any soft tosser is command, and Valdez seems to have nailed it.

In terms of slow, slower, slowest, the recent pitcher he reminds me of is Sergio Romo.  But Sergio Romo maintained an impressive K/BB ratio for many years and Valdez has done it for the last 9 innings of his career.

Incredibly, Sergio Romo is just 2 years older than Valdez.

On 9/16/2020 at 10:14 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. BRAVES, 9/16)

Another shutout inning tonight for Valdez.

I hope that he finished the season with a 0.00 ERA.

o

o

Well, he won't finish the season with an 0.00 ERA, but Valdez did nail down a much-needed win against an excellent Rays team this afternoon ...... it was the first time this season in which the Orioles won a game that their offense scored 3 runs or less (they were previously 0-20 in such contests.)

o