Vulnerable 40-Man Spots

HowAboutThat

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I think this will be the first year in a long time that pitching will not be the main priority of the off-season. I think the focus will be on assembling better all around infielders. Lopez’  2020 4.61 FIP Is almost a full run better than his 5.23 ERA, and as an Oriole, it’s better at 4.84 and 3.80, which is third-best on the team behind only Kremer and Akin( who have 31.1 innings between them.) I don’t know how he does it. His BABIP is only .220,(even though he’s not being helped by the defense) but I expect he’ll be here next April.

We'll see. I don't see anything remarkable in his stuff or resume (OK, he had one awesome year in AA in 2015?). Would you keep him and leave Alex Wells unprotected if it came down to it? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

We'll see. I don't see anything remarkable in his stuff or resume (OK, he had one awesome year in AA in 2015?). Would you keep him and leave Alex Wells unprotected if it came down to it? 

Absolutely not. I’m excited about Wells, and frankly I wouldn’t mind seeing him right now. Do you remember the old saying, “in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.” Well that’s kind of how I feel about Mr. Lopez.

4 hours ago, Philip said:

Absolutely not. I’m excited about Wells, and frankly I wouldn’t mind seeing him right now. Do you remember the old saying, “in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.” Well that’s kind of how I feel about Mr. Lopez.

I’m a huge Wells fan, but I question whether another team would claim him if he was unprotected.    He throws 86-89 mph, has not pitched above AA, and won’t have pitched competitively (not even at the alternate site) in a year and a half when next spring rolls around.    He’s a pretty big long shot to stick with a big league team for a year in that scenario, and it’s not like he’s a huge upside guy.   I do like him a lot, and I think in a normal situation where he’s had a full year of pitching AAA under his belt, he’d have a decent chance to stick.    But these are not great conditions.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m a huge Wells fan, but I question whether another team would claim him if he was unprotected.    He throws 86-89 mph, has not pitched above AA, and won’t have pitched competitively (not even at the alternate site) in a year and a half when next spring rolls around.    He’s a pretty big long shot to stick with a big league team for a year in that scenario, and it’s not like he’s a huge upside guy.   I do like him a lot, and I think in a normal situation where he’s had a full year of pitching AAA under his belt, he’d have a decent chance to stick.    But these are not great conditions.  

The fact he wasn’t even in the Bowie camp makes me wonder what is going on. It’s one thing if he was in Australia during this time and wasn’t able to fly back, or if he was dealing with an injury. But if he was in the US and healthy, that’s a pretty big blow to his chances.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree with this.   I think there is a slim chance Wells get picked and even less of a chance he would stay on a teams 26 man roster for  a whole season.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m pretty sure he would be claimed, but that would actually be good for the Orioles. If he does, he gets the benefit of coaching from the new team, and we can watch him develop, or not, on a real life stage. If it is unlikely that he does well Enough to stick, when he returns to us, we will have had the benefit of the empty roster spot, but also the benefit another team coaching, and whatever experience he has on the major league stage, if he gets that far.

And when he returns to us, we will have that much more knowledge and can deal with him more effectively.

Of course there’s always the risk that he makes it all the way with his new team, and I guess that’s the risk we have to take.

After all, TJ McFarland has had a pretty good career throwing in the upper 80s.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Moves are being made to clear 40-man roster space. Carroll got through, Fulmer did not.

At 37 players on 40-man roster now.

As bad as Fulmer looked to me in his first outing, I thought he looked terrific in his second.    I’m a little surprised Elias let him go.   

On 9/18/2020 at 4:17 PM, Aristotelian said:

PS I disagree that Lopez has been good. Not bad I would agree with. And again, if keeping him means leaving any prospects unprotected he should be vulnerable. 

Lopez has an ERA and a FIP in 226 MLB innings over 5.00.  He's 27.  He's safe until the O's acquire a legit Grade C prospect and need to add him to the roster.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Is there anyone who needs to be protected from the Rule 5 that is also ready to come up? Maybe Diaz or Mattson?

Both. They have a 3 man bench right now, so adding another player that can play the field seems like the better option. Maybe do it after someone pitches that won’t get another start this season and option them down.