Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Posnanski is keeping track of this streak.  33 consecutive days of MLB having at least one player hit two home runs in a game.  The old streak was like 28 straight days, they've blown past it and there's no slowing down.  And every day, if you subscribe to Posnanski's service, you get an email recapping what happened.  It's kinda cool, but also somewhat annoying because it appears he's set aside other projects he's been working on to focus on this.  I love Posnanski but he gets distracted from things he promises to do.

So apparently the streak was in jeopardy last night until Yaz came through to hit his 2nd homer.

Here's some excerpts of Posnanski's email this morning.

Very cool!  Also cool that TJ Mac, former Oriole Rule 5'er got to serve it up!  And this, the accolades are endless, a leadoff Giant record!  Clickbait?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

The guy is 28 years old and never produced to this level at any point in the minors. This is a nice stretch for him, and I hope he can keep it going, but I'm not about to say that we gave up on him too early.

I read a quote on here a couple days ago, about I think it was Justin Turner. 

To paraphrase, if this is Yaz's ceiling than the ceiling of every player in AAA is an All-star. 

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

Very cool!  Also cool that TJ Mac, former Oriole Rule 5'er got to serve it up!  And this, the accolades are endless, a leadoff Giant record!  Clickbait?

Carl Yastrzemski renamed as little Yaz and Mike Yastrzemski now called Big Yaz.  I never thought he would be more than a AAAA player.  Good for him.  I don't think SF should plan their rebuild around him, but just enjoy an amazing story.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, eddie83 said:

He must be using Fangraphs and not baseball-reference.  

All depending on what site you use for WAR.Just like after today's 2 hit ,1 run game against the Cubs in seven innings. Steven Brault ,the player sort of named later in the Travis Snider trade, would be second or third in pitching WAR if he was on the Orioles. But depends on the site you use.

4 hours ago, jabba72 said:

We had Joey Rickard as our 4th OF when Yaz was traded, who also has better stats in AAA last year. I like Yaz but he never did anything in Norfolk that suggests this breakout was going to come. Yaz does look the part of a major leaguer, unlike say Stewart, who is also a much higher draft pick. Yaz' 14th round draft status meant he was always going to be behind the higher drafted corner OF's and rule 5 picks. 

I have watched some of his at bats on MLB TV recently.  He seems much quieter than I remember seeing him in Sarasota.  He seems more like Nick in his approach. 

8 hours ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

The guy is 28 years old and never produced to this level at any point in the minors. This is a nice stretch for him, and I hope he can keep it going, but I'm not about to say that we gave up on him too early.

It's a nicer stretch than DSJR had.  And I liked DSJR early on.  It's a nicer stretch than any of the AAAA outfielders we've had up this season, Santander aside.  That alone, IMO, means we gave up on him too early.  

19 hours ago, AceKing said:

Do the Orioles get a pass on Yaz?  If so, why?

He's 29 next week and his career AAA mark, repeating the level repeatedly, is .784.  It would be astonishing if he ended up with any kind of MLB career where he averages 2.0 wins per 71 games.  2014 was the only year where he even remotely approached this kind of production as an age-appropriate prospect in the minors.

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's a nicer stretch than DSJR had.  And I liked DSJR early on.  It's a nicer stretch than any of the AAAA outfielders we've had up this season, Santander aside.  That alone, IMO, means we gave up on him too early.  

Is it even possible to give up on someone too early when they're already past the point where most players peak?  Yaz stopped being a real prospect about the time he turned 25 or 26, years ago.  He's still older than Manny and Harper and Trout.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Is it even possible to give up on someone too early when they're already past the point where most players peak?  Yaz stopped being a real prospect about the time he turned 25 or 26, years ago.  He's still older than Manny and Harper and Trout.

I get where you're coming from.  But, IMO, if we were going to trot out a guy like DSJR then, yeah, we gave up on Little Yaz too early.  

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the issue is more trotting out DSJR than not holding onto Yaz.

Sure.  I mean, Elias just had to have him and didn't see a spot for Little Yaz on the OD roster.   This might be the first miss that Elias has had since he's been here.  Have to see how it shakes out.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Sure.  I mean, Elias just had to have him and didn't see a spot for Little Yaz on the OD roster.   This might be the first miss that Elias has had since he's been here.  Have to see how it shakes out.  

But honestly, how can anyone look at the stats and the scouting reports on Yaz and predict anything like what we've seen?