Orioles have acquired RHP Conner Loeprich

86this

Phenomenal curve with an ok cutter.  Averages a strike out an inning, with a fairly low walk ratio.  He isnt going to set the world on fire, but is a pretty decent pickup if you ask me.  It isnt a garbage deal and the kid is good enough stuff to make it to the big leagues as a reliever but I wouldnt use him more than once through the order.  If he could add about two or 3 mph on the cutter, you could have a really good pickup here. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, 86this said:

Do you think this is this still leftover 2019 J2 $?

I have no idea.

It is all just such a convoluted mess.

I'm not actually all that upset about one deal and if Elias did specify last signing period and not this signing period than he didn't even go back on his word.

Just folks have expectations of me when things like this happen.

I still think trading international slots for 20th round college pitchers isn't something I'm in favor of.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think he said something along the lines of he didn’t plan to do it.   I guess his plans changed.   

Perhaps having acquired 3 extra Dominicans who were worthy of about $875 k in bonuses the last couple of days, he felt he could give up a couple of slots for a pitcher he likes who’s a little further up the MiL food chain.   

Do we know which allotment of slots this pertained to?    With J2 pushed back to January this year, I’m unclear whether the allotment period also was extended to January.    But if so, this probably indicates he had a bit of unspent slot money and doesn’t see any worthy players to sign for it, so he’d rather have a domestic lottery ticket than some foreign ones.    Fine with me if that’s his judgment.   

I remember him flatly stating that it would not happen.

But as I said earlier that might not be the same slot(s) pool he traded today.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think he said something along the lines of he didn’t plan to do it.   I guess his plans changed.   

Perhaps having acquired 3 extra Dominicans who were worthy of about $875 k in bonuses the last couple of days, he felt he could give up a couple of slots for a pitcher he likes who’s a little further up the MiL food chain.   

Do we know which allotment of slots this pertained to?    With J2 pushed back to January this year, I’m unclear whether the allotment period also was extended to January.    But if so, this probably indicates he had a bit of unspent slot money and doesn’t see any worthy players to sign for it, so he’d rather have a domestic lottery ticket than some foreign ones.    Fine with me if that’s his judgment.   

I read that the bonus slots are for the 2019-2020 period, which expires on 10/15/20.  That indicates to me that the O’s had some bonus slots still available and didn’t expect to sign anyone else during this signing period, or at least anyone of any financial significance.  I’m okay with that, because I don’t think they should spend the money just to say they spent it if they don’t think anyone is worthy of it.  And to be fair, they have already signed something like 34-38 players during this period, so it’s not like they have been skimping on signing international players.  The 2020-2021 signing period commences on 1/15/21 (it was pushed back from 7/2/20 due to Covid) and the Orioles already have their class mostly locked in already.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Obando said:

I read that the bonus slots are for the 2019-2020 period, which expires on 10/15/20.  That indicates to me that the O’s had some bonus slots still available and didn’t expect to sign anyone else during this signing period, or at least anyone of any financial significance.  I’m okay with that, because I don’t think they should spend the money just to say they spent it if they don’t think anyone is worthy of it.  And to be fair, they have already signed something like 34-38 players during this period, so it’s not like they have been skimping on signing international players.  The 2020-2021 signing period commences on 1/15/21 (it was pushed back from 7/2/20 due to Covid) and the Orioles already have their class mostly locked in already.

Yea, I'm pretty sure those are the ones that Elias categorically stated he wouldn't trade.

Not as if I expected him to keep his word.

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, I'm pretty sure those are the ones that Elias categorically stated he wouldn't trade.

Not as if I expected him to keep his word.

Based on a search earlier today, I believe his statement was about the signing period that ended in June 2019.     But that was based on my interpretation of posts by you that were in the time period during that cycle.    I couldn’t find Elias’s actual statement.  

• Thanks 1

Idc about trading away a slot we weren’t going to use. Elias traded “nothing” for something. It’s been Elias’ MO to target NCAA Pitchers around rounds 11-25. We’re not looking for these NCAA guys he’s acquired to be Verlander, but they can be bullpen and back end rotation types.  We have to trust our analytics dept here.