Andrelton Simmons opts out — NOW?

Frobby

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

1- The team wouldn't have shown more loyalty to him.

2- He did wait until they were eliminated.

3- I don't recall anyone having an issue with Stoman opting out.

My main issue here is that I doubt he has any genuine concern about COVID risk, or he would have dropped out long ago.   This just seems like an excuse to go home a few days early.    Even his public statement didn’t really suggest that he’s suddenly feeling at risk.    

Let me be clear — I completely support anyone who decides that they’d rather forego their paycheck than face the COVID risk.   But I don’t feel that’s what’s going on in these circumstances.    

Now I will admit, he could argue that he’s always had some reservations about the risk but was willing to accept them so long as the team had a shot at the playoffs, but isn’t willing to accept those risks in order the play out the string.  But I don’t see him making that argument.   

C’est la vie.    I’m sure the free agent market won’t care about this decision.    But if I was a teammate, I wouldn’t like it.    

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

My main issue here is that I doubt he has any genuine concern about COVID risk, or he would have dropped out long ago.   This just seems like an excuse to go home a few days early.    Even his public statement didn’t really suggest that he’s suddenly feeling at risk.    

Let me be clear — I completely support anyone who decides that they’d rather forego their paycheck than face the COVID risk.   But I don’t feel that’s what’s going on in these circumstances.    

Now I will admit, he could argue that he’s always had some reservations about the risk but was willing to accept them so long as the team had a shot at the playoffs, but isn’t willing to accept those risks in order the play out the string.  But I don’t see him making that argument.   

C’est la vie.    I’m sure the free agent market won’t care about this decision.    But if I was a teammate, I wouldn’t like it.    

Do you think Stroman had genuine concern?  I don't.  I think he saw a way to make sure he was healthy going into free agency.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think Stroman had genuine concern?  I don't.  I think he saw a way to make sure he was healthy going into free agency.

To be honest, I wasn’t really paying attention when Stroman opted out.    But the situation with players testing positive was pretty hairy in those first couple of weeks, so to me he would have had more reason for concern.    Whether that was his actual motivation, I don’t know.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be honest, I wasn’t really paying attention when Stroman opted out.    But the situation with players testing positive was pretty hairy in those first couple of weeks, so to me he would have had more reason for concern.    Whether that was his actual motivation, I don’t know.   

As I said earlier, players can expect zero loyalty from teams so I'm fine with them manipulating the system in return.