Nice to see Hays finishing strong

Frobby

A perfect world scenario for me is having Mullins coming in as a late inning CF defensive replacement, moving Hays to LF, then move Mountcastle to either 1B or 2B. I know he hasn't played any 2B in the majors, but he really can't be that much worse than Alberto or Valaika. Sure wouldn't hurt to give him some reps there next spring training.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, canonfaz said:

A perfect world scenario for me is having Mullins coming in as a late inning CF defensive replacement, moving Hays to LF, then move Mountcastle to either 1B or 2B. I know he hasn't played any 2B in the majors, but he really can't be that much worse than Alberto or Valaika. Sure wouldn't hurt to give him some reps there next spring training.

Oh yes he would be. He would be downright awful there because of his long arm action and lack of arm strength from that angle typically used by a 2B. If Mountcastle could play 2B or 3B effectively, do you not think the Orioles would be trying him there? Imagine his bat at those positions. Unless you want bottom of the barrel, game changingly bad defense at those potions, you keep him in LF or 1B preferable.

• Upvote 1

If Yusniel proves to be an obviously better OF than Mountcastle/Santander, I'll look forward to the occasional Hays/Mullins/Diaz day too, with the other two at 1B/DH, if Mancini remains unavailable and/or Renato off team.  

Mullins and Nunez the proxy playing time battle with guys flexing in the middle of the defensive spectrum.  There could be Howard Johnson playing SS for Dwight Gooden but not softer throwers platoon games to play there early next year if both here.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Similar to Hunter Harvey, this is the main problem with counting on Hays. I really think he has the talent to be a solid every day major league player, but he needs to prove he can stay healthy over an entire season. He's yet to do that and wasn't even able to get through this mini 60 game season. 

I can see a future outfield though with him back in center regularly. Mullins is better suited as a 4th outfielder than an every day starter, though Mullins is the best defensive center fielder this organization has right now that's major league ready. 

You say that like you think we (possibly) have a better CFer in the lower levels. Who are you thinking of?

Glad to see Hays playing well.    But I don't think Hays or Mullins have done enough to earn a starting job.   Hays has been inconsistent and injury prone.  Mullins hasn't hit lefties and therefore so far is more a platoon player.    I can see both of them competing for starting jobs next year until Diaz is promoted.  Then Elias/Hyde will have to decide who are starters and who backs up.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Similar to Hunter Harvey, this is the main problem with counting on Hays. I really think he has the talent to be a solid every day major league player, but he needs to prove he can stay healthy over an entire season. He's yet to do that and wasn't even able to get through this mini 60 game season. 

Technically, he did stay healthy throughout his great MiL season and major league call-up in 2017, playing in 148 games between the minors and the majors.    But he’s missed significant time with injuries every other season, including the year he was drafted (2016) and 2018-20.   

Though he has been oft-injured, he’s Ripken-like compared to Harvey.

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

You say that like you think we (possibly) have a better CFer in the lower levels. Who are you thinking of?

Tony can speak for himself, but here is my view of the CF situation.

McKenna is better defensively, but the bat isn't ready (and it may never be).

Hudson Haskin, this year's second round pick out of LSU could potentially stick in center.

Zach Watson and Lamar Sparks are the only other centerfield prospects in the system, but Sparks hasn't even gotten out of Rookie ball and Watson hasn't really hit yet at either Aberdeen or Delmarva.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I was thinking the same thing last night.  A good weekend and he may be able to get his OPS close to 800.  

Shame he missed that time.

For all the love Mullins is getting, he is still a sub 700 OPs guy with good but not great defense.  Hays should still be the starter in CF from day 1 and I think he will be.  

Agreed. Mullins is a fine fourth outfielder who can fill in when injuries hit, etc, but Hays is a better player and should be the CF of the future, provided he can stay healthy.

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

I honestly through major league ready in there so I wouldn't have to think about the rest of the system. :D

McKenna has a better arm and can go get the ball, but I'd probably take Mullins over McKenna in CF defensively overall.

I'd like to see Adam Hall maybe get a look in center to see how he looks. He seems to have the tools to play there and would have a better arm than Mullins overall. But all is probably destined for 2B or super utility.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

McKenna has a better arm and can go get the ball, but I'd probably take Mullins over McKenna in CF defensively overall.

Not to be glib, but what else is there besides being better at getting the ball and throwing it?

Are you saying that McKenna might be faster than Mullins but isn't as good of a fielder?

22 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Not to be glib, but what else is there besides being better at getting the ball and throwing it?

Are you saying that McKenna might be faster than Mullins but isn't as good of a fielder?

From what I've seen in the past, Mullins is a better defender because he gets betters jumps and takes better routes overall. McKenna suffers from losing focus in the field and on base paths, things you rarely if ever see from Mullins. McKenna will throw to the wrong base on occasion or just be lackadaisical out there at times. 

Mullins is better hitter overall though McKenna does have some occasional pop that teases scouts sometimes. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

From what I've seen in the past, Mullins is a better defender because he gets betters jumps and takes better routes overall. McKenna suffers from losing focus in the field and on base paths, things you rarely if ever see from Mullins. McKenna will throw to the wrong base on occasion or just be lackadaisical out there at times. 

Mullins is better hitter overall though McKenna does have some occasional pop that teases scouts sometimes. 

Understood. I just hope that can be smoothed over with coaching/reps/time/maturity. McKenna looks to have better tools so I remain hopeful, but I also question whether the bat will ever get to the .700-ish OPS level he would need to even be a fourth outfielder.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Understood. I just hope that can be smoothed over with coaching/reps/time/maturity. McKenna looks to have better tools so I remain hopeful, but I also question whether the bat will ever get to the .700-ish OPS level he would need to even be a fourth outfielder.

I have major questions over the bat myself.