Place the O's minor league infielders

wildcard

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

It will be disappointing if they brought Henderson to Bowie at his age only to send him to Delmarva next year.

Why does that matter? He was brought there to gain something this year. How soon do you think even if he excels he is in the big leagues?  Chances are in 2020 he would have had a full year at Delmarva. I don’t think it is a big deal if he starts there next year. He finishes the year a High A and then is at Bowie at some point in 2022, perhaps at the start.  

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I really do think Henderson and Westburg are the keys here.

There is question for both if they will ultimately stay at SS.  

If we look at this as Aberdeen (new Delmarva) and Delmarva (new Frederick) than I would say Hernaiz should be at Aberdeen.  I would probably say Westburg should be at Delmarva and Henderson at Bowie.  The question is, what do you then do with Servideo?  Do you just say screw it and start him at AAA because you know he has the glove?

I would guess Hall will move to second base.  Of course you have him and Vavra on a similar path as well.  

The bottom line is that they are going to have to be aggressive with some of these guys and see if they sink or swim.

Henderson is 2 years younger than Westburg. Henderson has not played above GCL. Westburg had 2 plus years experience at an SEC school.

I am not saying Bowie had no value this year but clearly Westburg has faced better competition and is older. 

I would think they are more aggressive with the older players and the ones they need to make quicker decisions on.  

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Henderson is 2 years younger than Westburg. Henderson has not played above GCL. Westburg had 2 plus years experience at an SEC school.

I am not saying Bowie had no value this year but clearly Westburg has faced better competition and is older. 

I would think they are more aggressive with the older players and the ones they need to make quicker decisions on.  

I can see this..but Henderson just held his own against that better competition.

I do agree that it’s likely he will be held back but that still leaves you with what to do with the other 2.  

Someone is either starting at AA, moving to a different position or going to the bench.

14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Why does that matter? He was brought there to gain something this year. How soon do you think even if he excels he is in the big leagues?  Chances are in 2020 he would have had a full year at Delmarva. I don’t think it is a big deal if he starts there next year. He finishes the year a High A and then is at Bowie at some point in 2022, perhaps at the start.  

Because if what they said was true he won't be challenged.

Other than Grenier, whose promotion wasn't merit based, and AR who was a show pony, who had an in-season promotion from one minor league level to another in 2019?

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I can see this..but Henderson just held his own against that better competition.

I do agree that it’s likely he will be held back but that still leaves you with what to do with the other 2.  

Someone is either starting at AA, moving to a different position or going to the bench.

I just think multiple years at an SEC school plus Cape Cod is pretty significant. 

No question they will have to be creative. I still think we could see some of these guys playing all over at least early on in the year. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because if what they said was true he won't be challenged.

Other than Grenier, whose promotion wasn't merit based, and AR who was a show pony, who had an in-season promotion from one minor league level to another in 2019?

Nobody did though in reality. There was no season.

I took what I heard from the Bowie camp with a grain of salt. I agree with the idea there are different ways to develop a player and it is possible the camp was very helpful. That said it still was not a full MiL season. If he overmatches the talent early on next year you can always move him up. Adjust to what you are seeing. I would like for him to play as much SS as possible to see if he can stick there. I don’t see the harm. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I just think multiple years at an SEC school plus Cape Cod is pretty significant. 

No question they will have to be creative. I still think we could see some of these guys playing all over at least early on in the year. 

It’s also significant that he, according to scouts, underperformed at those levels.  It may not be wise to just assume that he should be at higher levels just because of that.

Plus, there are positional concerns to think about as well.  

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s also significant that he, according to scouts, underperformed at those levels.  It may not be wise to just assume that he should be at higher levels just because of that.

Plus, there are positional concerns to think about as well.  

Many factors at play. Westburg was 8th in the Cape in OPS in 19.  

Would have to think teams used these camps this summer to experiment. They will have to have extended spring training with the MiL’s at bigger numbers unless MiL rosters are expanded. 

From Baltimorebaseball.com

They do have a short season team in the New York-Penn League, the Aberdeen IronBirds. Aberdeen, which has the newest and nicest facility in the Orioles’ organization, Leidos Field at Ripken Stadium, will reportedly remain an Orioles affiliate.

The Orioles’ Triple-A team is in Norfolk, Virginia. Its remaining affiliates are in Maryland — Bowie (Double-A), Frederick (High-A), Delmarva (Low-A), and  Aberdeen.

One of them might disappear, even though they all draw well. The Orioles might have the best positioned affiliate setup in baseball, with each team an easy drive from Baltimore. Despite the convenience and reduced costs from having their affiliates nearby, it’s likely that one won’t return with the Orioles next season.

The Orioles have a team in the Gulf Coast League that plays at the Ed Smith complex. Those teams are owned by the major league teams and aren’t slated for elimination.

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2020/10/06/next-year-uncertain-orioles-minor-league-teams/

From what I have read:

AAA Norfolk will stay because its the only park in the O's system the qualifies as a AAA park

AA Bowie will stay because its the only park in the O's system the qualifies  as a AA park

The GCL Orioles will remain as a Rookie League.

Aberdeen will stay because it a great facilities and if the O's does not field at team in the Short A NY Penn league  Aberdeen will move up to an A or A+ League.

Frederick was on the initial cut list but Delmarva may be in the discussion if the O's cut at team.  I think the Nationals would be interested in picking up either location and cutting Hagerstown.

The information so far seems that the O's will have  AAA, AA, A+, A and Rookie teams.  The location of the A+ and A league team are under discussion.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

This wasn't a normal year by any means.  Acting like he spent a normal full year is silly.  He should go to whichever level he's best suited for.  Under the old system, Frederick would have been a normal progression for next year.

If he adjusted to the higher level pitching he faced in Bowie, as we have been told, wouldn't that indicate that Delmarva wouldn't be the level he'd be best suited for?

• Upvote 1