Trezza: Big off season questions

wildcard

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think Elias will agree with you on Lakins, Martin, Valaika, Lopez and Valdez.   Probalby not on Eshelman, Stewart or Urias but I am not sure about that.

First of all, he really only has to drop 7 or so of the players I listed.  You certainly can make a case for some of these guys over others.  No argument there.

Of the guys you mentioned, Elias should feel that he can replace them immediately.  They don’t move the needle.  They are your back of roster guys that can always and will always be replaced.  I would hope he isn’t married to any of those guys.

But I mentioned 15 guys, not including the Alberto group of potential non tenders/DFAs.  They should easily be able to get 7-10 guys off that list and move forward with placing better, younger and cheaper talent on the 40 man.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

Martin isn’t going anywhere.

But why?  What is he at this point?  He can’t hit.  He has no power.  He plays a good SS but it’s not anything over the top special.  He was a rule 5 pick up that accomplished very little in his first year and missed all of 2020 with an ankle injury. Who is picking him off the rule 5 again?  I just don’t see it.

Would much rather have guys like Sedlock and Wells in the organization compared to him.

• Upvote 1

The only way any of these young players should be exposed to the rule 5 is if we drop a bunch of the guys I mentioned AND we obtain other good assets, whether they are ML players or guys who need to be on the 40 man.  

But let’s make no mistake about it.  There is no roster crunch in Baltimore right now.  A roster crunch occurs when you have more talent than you have spots.  The organization is far from that.  

18 hours ago, wildcard said:

Joe mentions all these players as possible adds to be protected from the Rule 5 draft:  Baumann, Lowther, Diaz, Bannon, Pop, Bannon, Mattson  and Wells .   He thinks five might be added.  I think there is room of  seven if that is what Elias wants to do.  Soft tosser Wells probably could not stay on a major league roster all season without being options.  So the O's may risk him.

Baumann, Lowther, Diaz are no doubters for protection so that's three. I don't see any of the others protected though maybe Wells (however, teams don't typically look for his profile in the rule 5 draft). Pop is the only guy that could potentially be protected, but he hasn't pitched in so long he would be a total "take a look" candidate if selected. I don't see Bannon getting selected and I you have as much chance of being selected as Mattson so I don't see him protected either.

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But why?  What is he at this point?  He can’t hit.  He has no power.  He plays a good SS but it’s not anything over the top special.  He was a rule 5 pick up that accomplished very little in his first year and missed all of 2020 with an ankle injury. Who is picking him off the rule 5 again?  I just don’t see it.

Would much rather have guys like Sedlock and Wells in the organization compared to him.

Martin wouldn’t be eligible for the rule 5 anyway, I don’t think. But I think he’s more valuable than Velasquez or those guys as a backup SS. He may be vulnerable but a lot of guys are more so.

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he can't physically play you don't tender him a contract.  You non tender him and work out some sort of arrangement after the Rule V draft. 

If he can't play it makes no sense to possibly lose a player in the Rule V.

Hypothetically, what happens to a player's health insurance if they're cut (DFA/nontendered/etc.)?

EDIT sorry for the triple play post. Didn't look like submission went through any of the three times I clicked.

Edited by beervendor

10 minutes ago, beervendor said:

Hypothetically, what happens to a player's health insurance if they're cut (DFA/nontendered/etc.)?

EDIT sorry for the triple play post. Didn't look like submission went through any of the three times I clicked.

Don't MLB players have health coverage for life?  Union contract.  Seems to me I read that somewhere.

Guys departing

LeBlanc

Hess
Phillips

Wynns
Holaday 

Martin
Nunez
Ruiz 
Velasquez 

Keep Urias over Martin even though he’s older and slower, because he hits better, and his defense is better, though still bad. I was disappointed to read that Martin is so bad. I really thought he was better. 
Alberto stays for now because we’ve no one with whom to replace him yet. Nunez goes because he’s a one trick pony, and we have lots of them.

Keep Valaika to handle 3B, use Urias as utility, and everyone is happy.

thats leaves plenty of room for the adds, and leaves a spot or two for that sweet, sweet Rule 5 guy.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, beervendor said:

47 minutes ago, beervendor said:

One day in the major leagues gets you free lifetime health insurance.

Couple of thoughts. 
-You don’t deal Nunez to save money you do it to open a spot. 

-Keeping Bannon makes sense to me due to lack of infield depth. 

-Nobody will eat enough of Cobb’s deal to move him 

-Albero and Mancini aren’t going anywhere. 

16 minutes ago, weams said:

He is not wrong. And I think SG is doing just fine back home. 

Geessh.   intelligent people disagree all the time.   Thinking that someone that does not agree with you lacks intelligence is not  good way to look at disagreement.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Geessh.   intelligent people disagree all the time.   Thinking that someone that does not agree with you lacks intelligence is not  good way to look at disagreement.

What?  Him disagreeing with me isn’t why it would lack intelligence.

Him telling us over and over how he wants to build a pipeline and then let’s young players leave for dime a dozen, older players is just dumb.  

It can’t be defended.