Iglesias happy talk

Frobby

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/11/iglesias-glad-to-be-an-oriole-and-expecting-to-win-in-2021.html

“Let me tell you, I don’t see the rebuild. I don’t. I understand it, but I don’t see it.”

“I said it early in spring training, this team can win, you know? We can win. I believe in that. I tell everybody, I believe in this team. We need some pieces. The front office will do their part. But I believe in this young team. We have the talent, we have the staff and we have the drive. I believe in this team. We can win. It’s a very talented team.

“It was a big loss for us with Trey (Mancini). Thank God he’s cancer-free. I’m so happy for him and for the organization. We missed (Anthony) Santander. I played hurt. And we still competed, we still had a shot, and that’s something that didn’t catch me by surprise. I was expecting it.

“Having Trey back next year is a blessing, and a healthy Santander, a healthy Iglesias. We’re going to go out there and compete and that’s one thing that this team did so well. We never gave up. Yeah, we need to be more solid, our defense needs to improve, we need to be more consistent on the routine play, our pitching staff. We’ve just got to get things together. But I really do believe in this team.”

“I’m telling you, we have a great, talented team and we have a great chemistry, as well. That’s what I’m very happy and excited to be a part of.”

“It’s not just the talent. Because talent can be irrelevant if you don’t have the chemistry, and we do have the chemistry. We communicate, we have a lot of young players that want to get better. They’re willing to learn and they’re very hungry to win. I’m more than blessed to lead by example for them and communicate the way I did. It makes me feel proud to be their teammates.”

• Upvote 4

With all the losing the O's have been doing, I think you need this attitude to show up and do you're best everyday.

There are some promising things going on and as a team there is certainly more to cheer about.

When you compare to records, other teams, stats... it doesn't quite match up, but I do think it's the right player to have on a team that is rebuilding.

• Upvote 2

Actually, I’m inclined to agree with him. The defense was appalling, and If we fix the Defense, the team can do really well, as long as we fix the pitching, but if we fix the pitching, the team could be really good, as long as we make the routine plays. And if we make the routine plays, the team can be really good, so yeah…

• Haha 1

I love that he thinks this way. I hope all the players do. They should be trying to win everyday.

That said, it's obviously optimistic. I think this team has a chance to win 70 in a full season, but that's about it. There are good options in OF with more on the way. The catching situation has an answer for the future and some okay options for now, but needs better defense which isn't coming until Rutschman is ready. The infield is a big question mark aside from Iglesias. I do have some hope for the pitching with the up-and-comers on the way, but there will be a learning curve and bumps along the way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Actually, I’m inclined to agree with him. The defense was appalling, and If we fix the Defense, the team can do really well, as long as we fix the pitching, but if we fix the pitching, the team could be really good, as long as we make the routine plays. And if we make the routine plays, the team can be really good, so yeah…

So basically you're saying if we can fix 2/3 of our team we'd be good? 

What a pickup  by Elias!  This attitude is exactly what the team needs and speaks well of the coach and the players assembled by Elias.  I can't imagine it is easy being in a rebuild and knowing odds are there will be a lot of losses, but guys have all sorts of reasons to play hard and play for each other.  

This is our team.  I had a good run from 2012-16, but it's over now and it has been pretty much torn down to the studs.  Love to see players make the most of the current situation and to have a great attitude while doing so.

• Upvote 1