Mayo: “I would be surprised if (Adley) is not in the big leagues in 2021."

wildcard

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yup.    I’ve still got PWSD (post-Wieters stress disorder).   Hoping for great things but no amount of hype will convince me that (1) he’s a sure-fire above average major leaguer, or (2) that he’s already ready for the majors.    He will have to prove it.   

That said, I do dream about it....

So you are an Elvis Presley kind of guy:   A little less conversation and a lot more action.

Im obviously in the minority here but i liked Wieters.  Did he live up to the hype? No.  How many truly do?  Was he a damned good catcher?  Yes, i value switch-hitting good defensive catchers with some pop.  Could he run?  I could run about the same but you can't have everything, that position wears a body down. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chuck A said:

Im obviously in the minority here but i liked Wieters.  Did he live up to the hype? No.  How many truly do?  Was he a damned good catcher?  Yes, i value switch-hitting good defensive catchers with some pop.  Could he run?  I could run about the same but you can't have everything, that position wears a body down. 

You are not in the minority.   Most of us liked Wieters.    He was an above average major leaguer there for several years.    He just wasn’t the demi-god he was built up to be.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think they’ll give him a full year in the minors with stops in AA/AAA. Maybe a taste of the MLB for 5-10 games. Severino is here till the deadline or next offseason, unless someone offers us a good trade. Hopefully, Severino and Sisco, make the most of these 2021 ABs and fetch us some trade value. 

I dunno.  In holidays/daydream mode, I'm still navel gazing for a Severino non-tender as a leading indicator of Week 2 Adley.

Clubs are a couple weeks away from having to show their non-tender cards as the revenue ripples start floating out.

3 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I dunno.  In holidays/daydream mode, I'm still navel gazing for a Severino non-tender as a leading indicator of Week 2 Adley.

Clubs are a couple weeks away from having to show their non-tender cards as the revenue ripples start floating out.

Dec 2nd is a week away.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think they’ll give him a full year in the minors with stops in AA/AAA. Maybe a taste of the MLB for 5-10 games.

I’d be totally against this approach.   It’s the worst of all worlds: get his service clock running in 2021 but get very little major league experience out of it.    For me, I’d like him up by July or not at all.    

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think they’ll give him a full year in the minors with stops in AA/AAA. Maybe a taste of the MLB for 5-10 games. Severino is here till the deadline or next offseason, unless someone offers us a good trade. Hopefully, Severino and Sisco, make the most of these 2021 ABs and fetch us some trade value. 

It’s not even the ABs, in my mind. If severino holds serve with his bat and shows that he’s cleaned up his defense, someone will be interested at the deadline. There’s pretty much always a playoff contender willing to give value for a quality second catcher it seems. 

On 11/25/2020 at 1:18 PM, Chuck A said:

Wieters was fine.  I was hard on him at times but from a defensive perspective he was great.  It would seem like he'd have to have a hot September to reach the stats that he would each year, but whatever.  His cold spells were abysmal but when he was hot he was a joy to watch. 

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wieters was fine.  I was hard on him at times but from a defensive perspective he was great.  It would seem like he'd have to have a hot September to reach the stats that he would each year, but whatever.  His cold spells were abysmal but when he was hot he was a joy to watch. 

Getting tagged as “Mauer with Power” made an impossible standard for Wieters to live up to before his first game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Getting tagged as “Mauer with Power” made an impossible standard for Wieters to live up to before his first game. 

I think I first read the “Mauer with Power” line in Sports Illustrated’s Spring 2010 baseball issue, the year after Wieters debuted.  But the article said he’d been called that in the past, before Mauer hit 28 homers in 2009.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vault.si.com/.amp/vault/2010/03/15/the-total-package-rare-bird