Where will Tony place Garrett Stallings on the Top 30?

wildcard

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I will say #23 just after Kyle Bradish.   I guess this pushes Tyler Nevin off the list.

What do you think?

Here's one scouting report of him from BA "89-91 mph fringe-average fastball plays up because of his plus control and advanced command. He also has shown he can throw his average slider and average curveball for strikes as well. He will flip in a below-average change regularly to keep hitters guessing. Stallings doesn’t have enough stuff to miss even SEC bats, but he knows how to pitch in traffic and he is quite steady and reliable—he finished the seventh inning in nine of his 15 starts as of late May." 

I did read that he tunnels his pitches well and has a good feel for pitching. Saying that, he sounds like a guy that needs to prove it in pro ball before getting too excited. While I could easily move him into the back end of the list and take off Nevin, for now I'll say he's just off my list.

• Upvote 4

I guess it's at least good that we got to "scout" him a bit on video and through instructional camp. At least we have a sense that he likely didn't really let himself go during all of this down time. So that's good.

But is this a type that Elias targeted for a reason, or is it a live arm that Elias took as a way to dump salary? His comments indicate the former, but we really won't know until they get to playing for real in 2021.

From what Elias said, he looked good during instructs.  

“I think we got two quality arms from the Angels. One of whom, in particular, is somebody that we’ve been focused on since he was in the 2019 draft, Garrett Stallings, one of the best pitchers in the Southeastern Conference that year. Went in the fifth round. We were impressed with him then and while he has not officially played professional baseball because he was shut down after throwing 100 innings at Tennessee, which the Angels do with their draft picks, and then the minor league cancellation is here, we got to scout him in person and also video and data this year through their instructional league. He also appeared briefly at their summer camp when they had some spots open up due to some players leaving camp on their team.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/12/elias-discusses-todays-activity.html

• Thanks 1

Off topic, but kinda on topic...

Anyone have any idea on how many of Tony's top 30 over the years have made the majors?  Wondering the percentage.  Probably would be a bit of an undertaking to figure it out but I'm curious.  

I saw Tony said he could put him on the back end of the list, IMO that means anywhere from 25 or later.  Would be curious to see how many of the players over the years from 20-30 have made the majors.

• Upvote 1

Here’s what Elias thinks on this topic:

“But we could not pass up two quality pitching prospects, and particularly a guy in Garrett Stallings that I think fits in with our top 20, top 30 prospects and is a legit starting pitching prospect, which is hard to get your hands on.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/12/still-in-talent-addition-mode-os-part-with-popular-shortstop.html

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Anyone have any idea on how many of Tony's top 30 over the years have made the majors?  Wondering the percentage.  Probably would be a bit of an undertaking to figure it out but I'm curious.  

I saw Tony said he could put him on the back end of the list, IMO that means anywhere from 25 or later.  Would be curious to see how many of the players over the years from 20-30 have made the majors.

Ask @Frobby. If he doesn’t already know, he will ten seconds after you pose the question to him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I would assume guys who make it to the majors eventually move up the list first, at least typically. A guy like Mancini for example, would have been off the list entirely when he was first drafted, then the back end, then the top-10.