Orioles sign Conner Greene

Roll Tide

Could be a starter for the AA rotation.   Better as a starter than a reliever in 2019.   His Hits per inning, average and WHIP were not bad.   But gave up a lot of runs and homers.  The Texas League is a hitters league.  Probably not promoted off a 5.12 ERA until he shows he can improve.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=t1350&player_id=641632#/splits/R/pitching/2019/MINORS

Click on AA splits.

Control problems in 2018 at AAA.

Will be 26 in April.

6 year minor league free agent.

I think Elias  expects to lose some players in the major  and minor league Rule 5 draft.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't know about you guys but I'm excited!

Yeah, not much to see here. But why not take a shot on a guy like this? Costs nothing but coach hours. The Winter (virtual) Meetings are this coming week, I think? Maybe something will come along beyond the R5 draft, but then maybe nothing until February. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't know about you guys but I'm excited!

In all honesty, I am also usually intrigued by these pick ups, you never know when you’re going to find some thing and fix it, like John Means. Even if Means never does anything beyond what he’s already done, he will remain a poster child for possibilities.

• Upvote 1

The walks and lack of strike outs at the upper levels is bigger concern to me then the amount of hits and homers.  That tells me the off speed pitches are not very strong and he doesn’t have a put away pitch.  That makes he think he has better shot as reliever as his pitch count will rise to quick and nit give you enough innings.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Philip said:

Whenever someone mentions “high 90s” and “gives up a lot of hits” I used to think Jason Garcia. Now I think David Hess. And I didn’t think too much of David Hess...hmmmm or Mike Wright. Also a lot of balls going the wrong direction.

Not sure why you’d be thinking of Hess, whose fastball has averaged 92.8 mph in his career.   Wright at 94.4 was at least a little closer.  Greene reportedly tops out at 98 though I’m sure his average FB is lower than that.    

Like you, I’m not a big fan of pitchers with big velocity who have no idea where the ball is going.   The guy has averaged 6.29 K/9 as a minor leaguer, so his velocity certainly hasn’t done him any good.   No harm in giving our player development staff a shot at the guy but he probably wouldn’t be in our top 50 prospects, honestly.   

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not sure why you’d be thinking of Hess, whose fastball has averaged 92.8 mph in his career.   Wright at 94.4 was at least a little closer.  Greene reportedly tops out at 98 though I’m sure his average FB is lower than that.    

Like you, I’m not a big fan of pitchers with big velocity who have no idea where the ball is going.   The guy has averaged 6.29 K/9 as a minor leaguer, so his velocity certainly hasn’t done him any good.   No harm in giving our player development staff a shot at the guy but he probably wouldn’t be in our top 50 prospects, honestly.   

I thought Hess was a mid-high 90s guy.