Competitive Balance pick for 2021 ( #66)

olddogger

My draft board would have:

Marcelli Mayer

Jordan Lawlar

Brady House 

in that order of preferrence for the 5 pick  

Round 2

would love Mason Black to fall here but doubt it

Gerritt Burhenn would be next and is exactly what the Os look for in a pitcher

Third, I would take Luke Hayden if available. 
As we get closer, I will dial in a better list but if these players were available at these spots right now, that is how I would draft. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Not going to check articles,  but I thought draft was to be 20 rounds in 2021.  Like 2020, IIRC, teams will only be on the hook for about $100k or so of drafting signing bonuses with the majority to be paid out in 2021.

I believe you are correct. It is supposed to be at least 20 rounds.

3 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

I'm just guessing that MLB is waiting to see to what extent the pandemic affects the 2021 college baseball season.  I think 20 rounds is probably the best case scenario.

The 20 round minimum length was part of the same agreement in March that limited the 2020 draft to a minimum of 5 rounds (which MLB ultimately set at 5 rounds). That isn't to say that the Union wouldn't screw over amateur players once again by agreeing to additional cuts, but that is where we are right now.

8 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The 20 round minimum length was part of the same agreement in March that limited the 2020 draft to a minimum of 5 rounds (which MLB ultimately set at 5 rounds). That isn't to say that the Union wouldn't screw over amateur players once again by agreeing to additional cuts, but that is where we are right now.

You are correct.  Bottom line is though, that MLB has yet to make an official announcement concerning the 2021 draft.  Don't really expect an announcement anytime soon.  You might say the situation is "fluid".

I expect the bigger issue with the 2021 draft right now is WHEN it will take place. 

It will be interesting if there will be a delayed college baseball season or not a season.

I personally think we will start heading to the other side of this virus sometime around March-May as vaccine distribution could be upwards of 150+M around then assuming another vaccine or two is effective and approved.  Hopefully the death rate goes down as the elderly are vaccinated and the spread goes down as health care workers and first responders and critical workers are vaccinated.    

MLB teams will need time to scout players.  Not sure of the appropriate amount of time, but I would guess it is somewhere between four and 10 weeks.  This could be in games, camps, who knows how this gets organized.  The draft could be the wild west of guessing/scouting if no college and hs seasons.