Recent Sig Mejdal interview on MASN

Frobby

Haven’t seen this anywhere.    Sig talks about how the Analytics staff worked on player development during the pandemic.   One of the interesting takeaways is that a lot of the developments with body and motion sensors actually come from the world of golf, and then get applied to baseball.   

(Interview starts at the 2 minute mark if you want to skip the intro fluff.)

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Yes, the O's are big users of OnBase U which is an offshoot of TPI ) Titleist Performance Institute. Dr. Greg Rose developed OBU and he also runs TPI. They are co-located and several of their key movements are similar to golf. I am an OnBaseU certified pitching coach and I can tell you after coaching for 30 years it was like someone provided the last few pieces of a puzzle. They really blend the old school knowledge with new school proof/research specific to movement. The have adapted their movement assessment from golf to baseball and they have been on the forefront using technology to identify and train proper movements. Most of the technology used is directly from golf. Their kinematic sequencing is adapted from golf and is really invaluable to a player and coach. The MOTUS sleeve, Blast and K-Vests all originated in golf. It is fascinating stuff. Driveline, the Ranches and others talk about hyperperonalization and do a great job but, OBU really takes the eyes out of the assessment and pinpoints the movements exactly which lessens trial and error. It also makes it much easier to get buy in from the players. As soon as I heard that the Os where all in with OBU, I instantly became more confident that the PD would improve drastically and I think we've seen that with the pitching. 

Great informative post, thanks!

• Upvote 1