Does the Josh Bell trade peg Trey Mancini’s trade value?

Frobby

13 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I guess what I'm saying is that teams have their own top 10 and they likely don't get close to mirroring BA's, specifically because they know much more about the younger guys in the system. 

A guy like Mayo *might* be a decent example for the O's. Big tools. Missed his senior season in high school. This kid could be the next Cal Ripken, or the next Ryan Minor, for all we know. The team has, or will soon have, a good idea though. He likely won't be on a top 100 list for 2 years if things go well, but within a few workouts he could be internally ranked up there with Henderson for us. 

Chris Cooley likes to say that when he played he could pick the roster within 3-4 guys after just a few days of training camp. Talent is apparent.

So if the O's are selling Mayo, they'd be selling him with a 55 FV price tag, not a 30 FV price tag. You probably get some small discount, but team valuations don't ignore that talent just because they're young.

Heck Ryan Minor is an optimistic projection.  I like Jomar Reyes as the disappointing comp.

On 12/26/2020 at 8:18 AM, OrioleDog said:

Yeah, that's where lists are just snapshots and the teams getting fresh info week by week.   Whatever midseason lists might have said that Machado July, I strongly suspect the Dodgers already had May/Lux solidly ahead of Kremer/Yusniel.   Two decent performers can still help us a lot in the 162.

The other side of this coin - whatever list heights he once had, teams have kind of told us what they really think of Taylor Trammell.

I wanted May and Lux as well.  That would have ended up being an outstanding deal for the Os.  I think you take the Bell deal now if you want to be safe or hold out for July if you want to gamble.  I think over their careers, Mancini is better but obviously the whole cancer thing.  I think 2020 is a better year to have taken off than any other because not every player was able to get into their real grooves or be who they actually are as a player.  I think years down the road we will see the 2020 stats as outliers rather than how we would typically look at players stats.  

Tough to say.  Bell's high level performance was MVP like and higher than Mancini, but his lows have been replacement player.

Mancini is much more consistent very good player with better defense but coming off the cancer treatments.

I think the Pirates sold too cheap on Bell but that is what I would expect if Mancini were traded this year.  (I.e. a higher level but flawed prospect and a low level high potential ceiling prospect.)

• Upvote 1