Rebuild mode or Sell mode?

rudyrooster

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No, but I think it’s likely the lease deal is done first, and if not, I don’t think the Angelos family will sell to a group unless they are completely confident the team will remain in Baltimore.   

I lose more sleep at night over whether Kyle Bradish will turn out to be a good major league pitcher than I do about whether the Orioles will remain in Baltimore.   It’s not even a worry at all to me.  

So you think the Angelos family may sell but will ignore that they may get more money from a buyer from Nashville, Montreal or Charlotte?

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So you think the Angelos family may sell but will ignore that they may get more money from a buyer from Nashville, Montreal or Charlotte?

The Angeloses cannot sell the team or move them unless they get the concurrence of Major League Baseball.  MLB has signed off on one franchise move since 1971.

When is the last time a MLB team abandoned a top-tier stadium?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Patience

Not needed.  There is no longer a need to do what they are doing.  

They are just stealing from the fans at this point.  You have a thread asking what are the chances they add this player or that player knowing full well whoever that player is will be garbage and cost nothing. 

We shouldn’t be having that discussion anymore.  There is no need to bring on those types of players at this point.  We should have a far more watchable product.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The Angeloses cannot sell the team or move them unless they get the concurrence of Major League Baseball.  MLB has signed off on one franchise move since 1971.

When is the last time a MLB team abandoned a top-tier stadium?

Who was that one team? The Nationals.  And what has that done to the drawing power of Baltimore?

The Commissioner is not a friend of the Angelos.  He is pretty pissed at them.  He appears to favor the Nationals.   If someone the Commissioner likes bought the O's and said it will be better for the franchise to move I doubt the Commissioner  would stand in their way.   Especially if it benefit the Nationals.

I am not promoting the ideas.  But its in the realm of possibilities.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm sure the buyout of the lease would be part of the purchase price.  A lease is not keeping a team in a city their owner doesn't want to stay in.

It is keeping them out of Tampa (and stuck in St. Petersburg) for the moment.   It’s too bad.

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If you told me right now that the options on the table were move the team and give Baltimore a new team within 2 years (keeping team name and all records) or Angelos family keeps the team, I would take the new team in a heartbeat.

You say this all the time, but here's the records of the Angelos-era Orioles compared to the last four expansion teams:

Orioles: Five playoff appearances, eight winning records (Angelos bought team prior to 1994 season)
Rays: Six playoff appearances, nine winning records (started 1998)
D'Backs: Six playoff apperances (last win '01), 13 winning records (1998)
Rockies: Five playoff appearances (zero wins), nine winning records (1993)
Marlins: Three playoff appearances (last win '03), seven winning records (1993)

Basically its a coin flip as to who is better, and that's assuming the next 25 years are exactly like the last 25 under Peter Angelos.

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You say this all the time, but here's the records of the Angelos-era Orioles compared to the last four expansion teams:

Orioles: Five playoff appearances, eight winning records (Angelos bought team prior to 1994 season)
Rays: Six playoff appearances, nine winning records (started 1998)
D'Backs: Six playoff apperances (last win '01), 13 winning records (1998)
Rockies: Five playoff appearances (zero wins), nine winning records (1993)
Marlins: Three playoff appearances (last win '03), seven winning records (1993)

Basically its a coin flip as to who is better, and that's assuming the next 25 years are exactly like the last 25 under Peter Angelos.

It may be a coin flip but I would take my chances to get rid of that family.  

Of course, this is also illustrates how important good owners are.

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If you told me right now that the options on the table were move the team and give Baltimore a new team within 2 years (keeping team name and all records) or Angelos family keeps the team, I would take the new team in a heartbeat.

I don’t think the Orioles will leave, but if the franchise moved, why do you think the city would get another team? It would be a city and a stadium competing against every other potential franchise city, and all of them would have no competition for fans.

Nashville or Vegas would be lousy choices, but Portland or San Antonio would be great. Maybe Oklahoma City.

But it’s best to have the Orioles in Baltimore.