Breakout Prospect in 2021??

Tony-OH

What prospect, not currently in the Top 30, will be next year?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What prospect, not currently in the Top 30, will be next year?

• Stiven Acevedo - OF
    • Luis González - OF
    • Luis Ortiz – LHP
    • Erison Placencia – SS
    • Elio Prado – CF
    • Leonardo Rodriguez - RHP
    • Zach Watson - CF
    • Toby Welk - 3B
    • Jake Zebron - RHP
    • Other - Mention in comments

The guy I'm rooting for is Toby Welk. I know nothing about him except he had good "data" coming out of a small school and then produced when he was old for his league. Then the already old prospect had to miss the Covid year. 

Would be awesome if he somehow turns out to be our surprise 3b of the future though. Crazier things have happened.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Love this thread idea. I'm honestly more interested in your opinions than any drivel I throw out there. Lol.

Exactly. I want to go with Welk, simply because our 3B depth is so sparse, but I haven’t anything else on which to base the choice. Like so many Oriole Drafts, it’s throwing darts...

I actually picked Ortiz just based on what I recall as very positive reports from a year or more ago.

Zach Watson also just got engaged. Apparently I follow him on twitter. Another guy with decent pedigree that needs to play. If you told me he's a top 15 -20 prospect because he has plus CF defense and had an .830 OPS this year I wouldn't be totally shocked. It's that OPS thing that's in question, I think.

• Upvote 1

Joey Ortiz is my breakout candidate to crack the top 30. He was singled out repeatedly in various interviews during and after instructs. 

Of those listed, I think Luis Gonzalez has a shot to be in the GCL this year. That LH power bat may just take off. 

Another sleeper guy to watch is Andrew Daschbach. 

• Upvote 1

I love what I’m reading, but I have no idea how much of what I’m reading is insightful information and sharing and how much of it is ignorant blather(no offense intended)

Who are the guys here who are really well-versed in the minors? I would like to sit next to your desk during the test.

• Haha 1

Acevedo, Ortiz, or Gonzales are all interesting picks if they can make the jump to the GCL this year, but I'll go with a wildcard in Raul Rangel. Here's a snippet from BA last summer:

"The Orioles added a promising mix of arms in their 2019 international signing class, including Rangel, a 6-foot-4, 155-pound righthander from Venezuela. It's a tall, extremely thin frame that should hold another 50 or more pounds and allow him to add significant velocity once that happens. He already throws relatively hard for 17, reaching 93 mph with the potential to throw in the mid-to-upper 90s eventually. He shows feel for a curveball and changeup as well, giving him the building blocks to be a starting pitcher."

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Vandy said:

Acevedo, Ortiz, or Gonzales are all interesting picks if they can make the jump to the GCL this year, but I'll go with a wildcard in Raul Rangel. Here's a snippet from BA last summer:

"The Orioles added a promising mix of arms in their 2019 international signing class, including Rangel, a 6-foot-4, 155-pound righthander from Venezuela. It's a tall, extremely thin frame that should hold another 50 or more pounds and allow him to add significant velocity once that happens. He already throws relatively hard for 17, reaching 93 mph with the potential to throw in the mid-to-upper 90s eventually. He shows feel for a curveball and changeup as well, giving him the building blocks to be a starting pitcher."

He's an interesting guy as well, just didn't know much about his control/command or the mechanics so it would e tough for him to jump on the scene unless he show up in the GCL and is pitching lights out with great stuff. then again, he's probably in the same class as Ortiz overall, just a lot of unknowns.

The international guys are most interesting to me. In theory one or two could come stateside and be top 10 prospects quickly if the hype matches the eye test. The few guys I wouldn't be surprised to also see added are:

Cumberland - could be our future backup catcher, which has value. Could see him in the 20-30 range at the end of of 2021 with a good year.

Mattson - another arm from the Bundy deal. We haven't seen him much yet. Wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to have Zimmermann like production.

The headliner in a Cobb/Santander/Mancini trade.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

The international guys are most interesting to me. In theory one or two could come stateside and be top 10 prospects quickly if the hype matches the eye test. The few guys I wouldn't be surprised to also see added are:

Cumberland - could be our future backup catcher, which has value. Could see him in the 20-30 range at the end of of 2021 with a good year.

Mattson - another arm from the Bundy deal. We haven't seen him much yet. Wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to have Zimmermann like production.

The headliner in a Cobb/Santander/Mancini trade.

I think the system is too deep for a backup catcher or middle reliever to make the list, which is a good thing. The days of needing to put potential backup catchers in the top 30 is hopefully behind us with the new found International pipeline adding to our 1st year player drafts and trades.

I could definitely see a headliner from Mancini or Santander trade getting on the list, but I think the Orioles would have to eat some of Cobb's contract to get something back from him.