Are the O's done with Hanser Alberto?

wildcard

Hanser Alberto was not non tendered because the O's did not like the person or the way he hit left-handed pitching.   He was non tendered because they did not think his overall play was worth what he might get in arbitration.   So with the free agent market slow and not much money being thrown around because of Covid limiting revenue,   What is the chance that Alberto signs a minor league deal with the O's and is invited to camp?

12 hours ago, Philip said:

I don’t think they want Nunez back at all. He’s too limited and they are hoping for the same production in a more versatile player. Shaw is probably his analogue, and they don’t need another.

What would make any sane person think Shaw would produce as well as Nunez? Shaw couldn't hit water falling out of a boat against major league pitching while Nunez was on pace to hit 30+ homers for the second straight year at the major league level. Not to mention that Nunez is actually younger than Shaw.

If Nunez is able to be brought back on a minor league contract, I think the Orioles would do so because at worse, he's some depth at AAA, but I think Nunez is going to get a major league contract somewhere.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

What would make any sane person think Shaw would produce as well as Nunez? Shaw couldn't hit water falling out of a boat against major league pitching while Nunez was on pace to hit 30+ homers for the second straight year at the major league level. Not to mention that Nunez is actually younger than Shaw.

If Nunez is able to be brought back on a minor league contract, I think the Orioles would do so because at worse, he's some depth at AAA, but I think Nunez is going to get a major league contract somewhere.

Nunez made 578K last year and was projected to get 3 mill.  I think the team had issue with the 3 mill vs the ML/MiL part of things.

A 1 yr 1-1.5mill major league contract seems (**feels**) like the O's "willingness" rate.  Is that a major league deal he accepts?  The door is open until he signs elsewhere and my expectation for him is similar to Hanser. 

28 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Nunez made 578K last year and was projected to get 3 mill.  I think the team had issue with the 3 mill vs the ML/MiL part of things.

A 1 yr 1-1.5mill major league contract seems (**feels**) like the O's "willingness" rate.  Is that a major league deal he accepts?  The door is open until he signs elsewhere and my expectation for him is similar to Hanser. 

Tony’s point is well taken, and I concede it, but I still strongly believe that we don’t need a guy who is limited to DH, because we have so many others who need a roster spot.

29 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

O's have plenty of DHs but could use some help at 3rd base.   So I give Hanser the edge on returning vs Renato.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

Tony’s point is well taken, and I concede it, but I still strongly believe that we don’t need a guy who is limited to DH, because we have so many others who need a roster spot.

Frobby had an argument related to Nunez being 26 and maybe having a bit of room to grow.  No idea where it is, although he always seems good at finding them.

It may not make the most roster sense.  That is certainly open for conversation.  They bring enough value/production that I can still see them taking a shot on both players at the right cost. 

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

O's have plenty of DHs but could use some help at 3rd base.   So I give Hanser the edge on returning vs Renato.

Not arguing this either, just my thoughts on your original question.  I don't think the O's are done with either.

On 1/25/2021 at 10:59 AM, jerios55 said:

Frobby had an argument related to Nunez being 26 and maybe having a bit of room to grow.  No idea where it is, although he always seems good at finding them.

I’m not sure that defense improves with age. Nunez’ speed is below average and getting slower, and I don’t know how common footwork or inaccurate throws improve. I’d still prefer someone more versatile, but I trust Mike.

4 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m not sure that defense improves with age. Nunez’ speed is below average and getting slower, and I don’t know how common footwork or inaccurate throws improve. I’d still prefer someone more versatile, but I trust Mike.

I do believe Nunez may have had room to grow, but I meant offensively.