Meoli: Why the Orioles acquiring Jahmai Jones represents a new facet of their trade strategies | ANALYSIS

Roll Tide

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d rather have Jeter.   He didn’t exactly keep the Yankees from making the playoffs, did he?

They weren't built on defense so much. And had the pitching regardless. They just bludgeoned you.

For us now, I'd rather have Belanger backing up the young pitching. A run saved is just as good as a run scored. IMO

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

To get him any (meaningful) playing time at 2B you need to move Sanchez to 3B, sit Rio. For limited time, spot games, I could see that happening. But I don't see ME and Hyder weakening Mike's precious defense up the middle. And I personally agree with that. I'd rather see Belanger at SS than Derek Jeter. I expect to see Galvis/Sanchez as a very good DP combination and you don't want to sacrifice that.

Ruiz can go away. He offers literally less than nothing, because he takes away time from guys who might be able to produce.

34 minutes ago, Philip said:

Ruiz can go away. He offers literally less than nothing, because he takes away time from guys who might be able to produce.

I don't care about Ruiz. He might actually hit a little. I want Sanchez tho, at 2B. You know, where he won a Gold Glove?

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, the Angels saw fit to call him up for a few games, so perhaps closer than you think.   Elias did say on the radio that he had a chance to make the club out of spring training.   Frankly I am not expecting that, but I’m keeping an open mind.    

I guess it depends on what the O's are trying to accomplish.  If they want Jones  developed as much as possible before he comes to the majors then time at AAA to make his offense and defense better is probably the right move.  This is what Elias has been doing over the past two years for his prospects.

If they want to develop Jones in the majors then they can bring him up at any time.   But he has to play regularly and take his lumps.

9 hours ago, scOtt said:

They weren't built on defense so much. And had the pitching regardless. They just bludgeoned you.

For us now, I'd rather have Belanger backing up the young pitching. A run saved is just as good as a run scored. IMO

Yes, but a run saved is not better than a run scored.   Which is what you’re really saying if you prefer Belanger to Jeter.   Jeter added a lot more runs with his bat than Belanger saved with his glove.    

Now you raise one interesting point that I’ve also heard from others: that having a good defensive SS is extra important if you have a young, inexperienced pitching staff.   Or, just a bad pitching staff.    I can see the instinctive appeal of that argument, but I’m not sure if there’s any evidence to back it up.   Are young pitchers more prone to getting rattled than more experienced pitchers if their SS makes an error behind them?    Maybe, but I’d need to see some numbers.  Do bad pitchers maximize the impact of a bad defensive play?   Well, that is logical but again I’d want to see numbers.   In either case you’d still need to weigh the impact of that compared to the difference on offense.   

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, but a run saved is not better than a run scored.   Which is what you’re really saying if you prefer Belanger to Jeter.   Jeter added a lot more runs with his bat than Belanger saved with his glove.    

I'd go so far as to say a run saved is slightly worse than a run scored.  Since you ultimately have to score at least one run to win a game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd go so far as to say a run saved is slightly worse than a run scored.  Since you ultimately have to score at least one run to win a game.

As I recall, a run saved actually is more valuable than a run scored, by some infinitesimal amount that has basically no impact.   @DrungoHazewood would probably know what I’m talking about and why it’s so.   But it’s largely irrelevant in real world terms.   

16 hours ago, Philip said:

I think there is some thing here. Yes, of course Mike wants to get the best return, but there’s a difference between, “best return” that is four years away, and “best return” that is one year away. He wants to time everything so that everything arrived at the same time.

I hope that's not the case. He has talked about the Tampa model. If someone offers an elite prospect that is further off, I would hope we take that deal. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I hope that's not the case. He has talked about the Tampa model. If someone offers an elite prospect that is further off, I would hope we take that deal. 

Timing the first wave is one thing, but if you want sustained success you need to keep a pipeline of talent open. 

While 2012-2016 was a lot of fun, I'd rather the fun last longer.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

As I recall, a run saved actually is more valuable than a run scored, by some infinitesimal amount that has basically no impact.   @DrungoHazewood would probably know what I’m talking about and why it’s so.   But it’s largely irrelevant in real world terms.   

https://tht.fangraphs.com/a-run-saved-is-a-run-scored/

• Thanks 2