Grayson Rodriguez off season 2/12/2021

wildcard

19 hours ago, Aglets said:

So I assume the plan is for him to start at Aberdeen?

I would think so.  I expect him to be in Bowie at some point this year.  Next year sets up as when we see him in the majors.  This, of course, assumes he’s pitching well and healthy.

BTW, I wouldn’t rule out either him or Hall being in the majors this year if they are dominant in the minors.  You only get so many pitches out of these arms.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I would think so.  I expect him to be in Bowie at some point this year.  Next year sets up as when we see him in the majors.  This, of course, assumes he’s pitching well and healthy.

BTW, I wouldn’t rule out either him or Hall being in the majors this year if they are dominant in the minors.  You only get so many pitches out of these arms.

Elias has already written off this upcoming season.  I'd say the chances of Rodriguez or Hall hitting the majors this year are roughly equivalent to the O's chances of making the playoffs.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias has already written off this upcoming season.  I'd say the chances of Rodriguez or Hall hitting the majors this year are roughly equivalent to the O's chances of making the playoffs.

I disagree.  I think it would take some not likely scenario for it to happen but I think it’s possible.

But I think the season likely starting later than it should makes this very difficult to do.  He would have be really dominating for this to happen.

Either way, I think the chances are higher than the Os making the playoffs.  :)

On 2/17/2021 at 9:48 AM, Can_of_corn said:

I agree. There are so many guys that are ahead of them in development and Elias has shown no willingness to start control clocks any earlier than he has to with high ceiling players. Add in that everyone's innings are going to be monitored very closely after limited innings last year, and I don't see any scenario where either of these guys debut in Baltimore this season.

Just prospect wise, Baumann, Lowther, Wells, Zimmermann and Smith are all ahead of them in development and that's not even counting the myriad of guys Elias has brought in for AAA depth that will get chances before them.

On 2/17/2021 at 10:13 AM, Sports Guy said:

I disagree.  I think it would take some not likely scenario for it to happen but I think it’s possible.

But I think the season likely starting later than it should makes this very difficult to do.  He would have be really dominating for this to happen.

Either way, I think the chances are higher than the Os making the playoffs.  :)

Besides a nuclear bomb going off at the Sarasota complex during spring training, what other scenario would see Rodriguez of Hall reach Baltimore this year? ;)

Ok, maybe it's 0.1% chance so I guess technically you could be right if you go by Fangraph odds. :D

Personally I think the Orioles have a 0.0% chance of winning the Word Series, but I'd say their chances of making the playoffs in the expanded format is not 0%.. It might be 1%, but it's not 0%. There's 0% chance I will pitch for the Orioles though.

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Besides a nuclear bomb going off at the Sarasota complex during spring training, what other scenario would see Rodriguez of Hall reach Baltimore this year? ;)

Ok, maybe it's 0.1% chance so I guess technically you could be right if you go by Fangraph odds. :D

Personally I think the Orioles have a 0.0% chance of winning the Word Series, but I'd say their chances of making the playoffs in the expanded format is not 0%.. It might be 1%, but it's not 0%. There's 0% chance I will pitch for the Orioles though.

Hall is in AA to start the year.  If he dominates in AA, I would expect him to be up this year.  Personally, I don’t think he pitches to that level.

GRod I could see dominating but the season not starting until early May pushes him back from this particular discussion unless the Os decide to give him a few starts late in the year but with the minor league season going into the middle of Sept, I doubt that happens.  He would have to be almost unhittable to move that fast with a one month late start.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Hall is in AA to start the year.  If he dominates in AA, I would expect him to be up this year.  Personally, I don’t think he pitches to that level.

GRod I could see dominating but the season not starting until early May pushes him back from this particular discussion unless the Os decide to give him a few starts late in the year but with the minor league season going into the middle of Sept, I doubt that happens.  He would have to be almost unhittable to move that fast with a one month late start.

Remember, Hall doesn't start until a month late as well. Either way, I don't see a way Hall pitches in the big leagues this year even if he's lights out. Elias doesn't start clocks until he has too and even if he is lights out at Bowie (a big IF), that just means he'll get his taste of AAA.

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Remember, Hall doesn't start until a month late as well. Either way, I don't see a way Hall pitches in the big leagues this year even if he's lights out. Elias doesn't start clocks until he has too and even if he is lights out at Bowie (a big IF), that just means he'll get his taste of AAA.

Maybe..but if he is lights out in AA, he is in AAA by July.  If he feels Hall is in the rotation early next year and that the team can contend in 2022, I think he sees some starts up here.

Its a lot of factors but players don’t need AAA.  Teams will bypass it and I think the Os would too if circumstances dictated it.

Everyone talks about how Elias is keeping guys down.  That’s really not accurate imo.  What he is and has been doing is getting it so that many of these guys are up around the same time.  Hall is part of that. 

That being said, he has to get the walks down and be great at that level before considering this.

Bowie playing until mid-September I think reduces cup of coffee possibilities.   My guess is after last summer talent might funnel there - could be a pretty good team.   They'll have Adley and Hall early, Rodriguez and maybe Kjerstad are both there late.   Every LeBlanc that makes the Orioles is another candidate for the Eastern League All-Star team.   I hope both Westburg and Gunnar earn ~100% SS reps, but if one is already off position late, they could be infield teammates by then too.

I'm curious to see if Rodriguez can even flirt with the double jump there to begin with.