Orioles considering Franco?

Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Ummm...don't we have organizational filler at 3B?   

Beyond now, I think '22 Maikel Franco is more cromulent for a team I haven't quit on yet than anyone else we have.

Next offseason's UFA 3B are Bryant, E. Escobar, Marwin G. in contrast to the SS group now 8-deep with Semien, Andrelton and Galvis back alongside the Big Five.

I guess we could just change gears to the Eric Sogard type guy.

That's the thing we kind of don't. It's the thinnest position in the organization IMO. Bannon is the closest and I'm 100% good with basically handing him the job. He probably wouldn't be any better than Ruiz though.

24 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I think the combination of all three covers 2B and 3B

They do..in theory.  It’s just not the best way to do it with the resources we have.

Sign Franco and keep Sanchez at the position he won a GG at and, IF Valaika makes the team, he can play vs lefties at times.  

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Which means Franco must be a Boros client. 

I mentioned Franco this off season as being a fit for the right price. The defense seems pretty solid besides going laterally to the 3B side, and the bat might play well at Camden Yards and I'm ok with them moving on from Ruiz.

I thought the same thing so I googled and it said Octagon, not Boras.  I was surprised.

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't really understand your assessment here.  His defense is solid except for laterally?   Having good lateral movement is essential for a 3rd baseman to be good defensively.    

While I am ready to move on from Ruiz I don't want to downgrade the defense to do it.   Especially for a guy that has a 737 career OPS.   He seems to hit well every other  years and this would be his down year.   

I say Elias,  keep looking for someone better.

Laterally towards 3B. The analytics show he goes well to his glove side, in and back just not to towards the bag. It's a new way of breaking down each infielder.

BTW, the reason you do this is the off chance Franco does really well and can be flipped. We know Ruiz is not going to be flipped for anything.

• Upvote 1

While I'm certainly not advocating heavily investing in any 28 year old,  the O's are planning to throw several young starting pitchers out there, and it behooves management to put as good a team as makes financial and developmental sense behind them. Adhering to the Ravens' "right player-right price" motto, Franco would clearly improve the team, and as long as they don't overpay, it makes sense. Rio Ruiz is not the future. Franco at least has a semi-enviable track record. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Laterally towards 3B. The analytics show he goes well to his glove side, in and back just not to towards the bag. It's a new way of breaking down each infielder.

BTW, the reason you do this is the off chance Franco does really well and can be flipped. We know Ruiz is not going to be flipped for anything.

He will be a FA after 2021.  How much are are you going to get for two months of a marginal player.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Ruiz isn't a good defender, right? But he moves well in three out of four directions. Is moving toward the bag more important than the other directions? Is it is arm or hands that makes him subpar, or what?

I don't see enough difference in Franco over Ruiz.  Ruiz still young...only 26.  It wouldn't be the craziest thing if he found a bit more power and hit 30 homers this season.  In which case his value is much higher than Franco.

4 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Ruiz isn't a good defender, right? But he moves well in three out of four directions. Is moving toward the bag more important than the other directions? Is it is arm or hands that makes him subpar, or what?

Ruiz has had issues coming in on the ball but otherwise has been ok defensively.  Ruiz has an average arm and can make decent throws, but he's just slow footed so anything that requires him to have range is something he's not going to be very good at.