McGregor on Rutschman: "They're throwing it (fastballs) by him right now"

Tony-OH

Meanwhile Andrew Vaughn crushed a homer today, is showing well in ST and his team is talking a contract with him.  

And Witt could make the Royals or at least be up soon.

And here we are hearing a former pitcher saying he is struggling catching up to fastballs.  

This is exactly the news you want to hear.  Why can’t it just be easy for us?

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Meanwhile Andrew Vaughn crushed a homer today, is showing well in ST and his team is talking a contract with him.  

And here we are hearing a former pitcher saying he is struggling catching up to fastballs.  

Well at least we have our 1-2 pick from last year that not one of the baseball people have ever seen play baseball as a professional yet. Long way to go with both, but as I always say, special players do special things early on. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Witt hit .670 in Rookie ball 2 years ago. 

The panic over this is really something. I’m supposed to believe scouts ranked this guy as perhaps the best prospect in a decade and he can’t hit the heat? 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The panic over this is really something. I’m supposed to believe scouts ranked this guy as perhaps the best prospect in a decade and he can’t hit the heat? 

In don't think anyone is in panic, but how do you assess him against the good fastball in college where he was pitched around and walked most of the time? 

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

In don't think anyone is in panic, but how do you assess him against the good fastball in college where he was pitched around and walked most of the time? 

If anyone would be willing to throw him strikes I figure it would be the ones with good fastballs.

23 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

No panic at all...just pointing out that he hasn’t and isn’t doing anything that jumps off the page yet.

You mean to tell me, with all the hype he has and had going into the draft that you would t have expected more from him by now?

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No panic at all...just pointing out that he hasn’t and isn’t doing anything that jumps off the page yet.

You mean to tell me, with all the hype he has and had going into the draft that you would t have expected more from him by now?

You know what I wasn't expecting?  Mono and a pandemic.

7 hours ago, jabba72 said:

His last game, Rutschman fouled off a number of 95+ fastballs and eventually hit a double off the fence, I dont know what the speed of that pitch was, but I think its probably a timing issue. I seriously doubt he lacks bat speed or the Orioles would have picked up on that before the draft.  

It was a slider down and in if I'm remembering the AB you mean. Slider or a cutter, from a righty to him batting lefty. Something in the 80's.

And if IRC... the FBs he fouled off were 97, 98. One up towards his eyes according to Gameday.

So he has skillz. And he doesn't have skillz yet. On par I think.

7 hours ago, LookinUp said:

If AR turns out to have the same exact career as Wieters, I will be disappointed, just like I am with Wieters' career.

That doesn't mean I think Wieters sucked. I just thought he'd be better.

If AR turns out to have the same exact career as Wieters, I will be MUCH more disappointed.

Not to pin expectations on AR but he's had expectations pinned on him since O. State, and exceeded them all by leaps and bounds.

It's a tough row to hoe... but a row he's handled before. I hate to post this... but he needs to step up for ONCE in his PRO career.

Like Tony said... see what he does at Bowie this year....

6 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I respect Scott but we are talking about a handful of at bats in spring training. Like Tony said getting behind in counts hasn’t helped. Scott basically said he needs to play as well. 

The biggest thing for everyone obviously is to see him play for an extended period against real competition. That hasn’t really happened at the pro level yet.

Not just Rutschman but all these prospects need a real season. 

Adley's played against the GCL, the NYPenn League and the Eastern League. Even if in limited ABs he should have ripped those leagues a new a-hole!