Wade LeBlanc, Really?

wildcard

I am reading these reports where LeBlanc makes the O's opening day roster. Some even saying he could make the rotation.   What the heck?    Leblanc had a 5.71 ERA in 2019 and an 8.06 ERA in 2020.   He is 36 years old.  He does not project as part of the O's next contending team.   So why should be make the roster?

People caution about making too much of Spring Training.   Well, even his ST perform so far in not that helpful to his case. After pitching  two scoreless inning in his first outing, he allowed 2 runs in 3 innings in the next one which is a 6.00 ERA for the 2nd outing.  The hardest part of ST is yet to happen, so any reports on LeBlanc making the team are premature  any way.

I have no problem with the O's bringing LeBlanc to ST on a minor league contract.   He is organizational depth if other younger pitchers are not ready.   But the alternate site or the minors is where LeBlanc should stay if pitchers like Zimmermann, Akin and Lopez are ready. And the idea that they would add LeBlanc to the roster over keeping Tyler Wells does not seem right to me.

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2021/03/19/another-look-orioles-roster/

• Like 1

It’s hard for me to believe LeBlanc makes the team on OD. I think it seems clear that Zimmerman has made his way into the rotation, at least to start the season. And Lopez seems like he’s at least pushed his way into the bullpen and if he isn’t on the O’s OD roster then he’ll be on someone’s because he’ll certainly get claimed. That leaves little to no room for LeBlanc who has the contractual flexibility to start out AAA while we wait for an injury or something. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, wildcard said:

Should we care?   Aren't  Zimmermann,  Lopez and Akins better than him anyway?  Not to mention Lowther.

For the life of me I just don’t get the concern over this issue. 

They have to get thru 162 games with as unproven a rotation as I can recall. Add to that what happened last year. This isn’t about blocking someone more worthy it’s about survival. 

Lowther was at the Bowie camp for one month. Baumann had arm issues, and Wells was overseas. Now we think these kids are going to be throwing how many big league innings coming off of that not to mention limited work in the minors to begin with?

Those three are not options right now. Hopefully by summer, but not now. 

You basically have 
Means 

Kremer 

Zimmerman

Akin

Lopez

Harvey 

Eshelman 

LeBlanc

They have to get to a point where they can use the above three if they are ready but that point isn’t now. It’s not remotely close to now. 

Keeping LeBlanc if they do blocks nobody from getting work on the Orioles this year. Nobody. It may delay someone’s arrival who wasn’t going to be on the team the whole year anyway. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

For the life of me I just don’t get the concern over this issue. 

They have to get thru 162 games with as unproven a rotation as I can recall. Add to that what happened last year. This isn’t about blocking someone more worthy it’s about survival. 

Lowther was at the Bowie camp for one month. Baumann had arm issues, and Wells was overseas. Now we think these kids are going to be throwing how many big league innings coming off of that not to mention limited work in the minors to begin with?

Those three are not options right now. Hopefully by summer, but not now. 

You basically have 
Means 

Kremer 

Zimmerman

Akin

Lopez

Harvey 

Eshelman 

LeBlanc

They have to get to a point where they can use the above three if they are ready but that point isn’t now. It’s not remotely close to now. 

Keeping LeBlanc if they do blocks nobody from getting work on the Orioles this year. Nobody. It may delay someone’s arrival who wasn’t going to be on the team the whole year anyway. 

As I said in the OP, if the put LeBlanc on the 26 man roster they may not have room for Tyler Wells.  The article I posted said as much.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If they want to keep him in long relief instead of keeping a guy like Sulser or Lakins, fine. He does add length to a pen that will need length.

If he's in the rotation and somehow Zimmermann or Akins is not, then I'd have an issue. 

Exactly right 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If they want to keep him in long relief instead of keeping a guy like Sulser or Lakins, fine. He does add length to a pen that will need length.

If he's in the rotation and somehow Zimmermann or Akins is not, then I'd have an issue. 

If LeBlanc makes the team they will be weighing LeBlanc's ST performance over his last two years of performance.   I thought you were against that.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Where's the wildcard that's all like "LeBlanc threw two scoreless innings in a late September game and finished his season on a high note so I think he can be a really good pitcher for us." ?  

LeBlanc needs that wildcard, not this one that's rooted in reality. 

I think that was you not me.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

As I said in the OP, if the put LeBlanc on the 26 man roster they may not have room for Tyler Wells.  The article I posted said as much.

Well we are 13 days away. Let’s see what they do. I’ve already made my call. Took a chance. I think spacing these guys out makes the most sense. They aren’t going to be here all year anyway. I think there is a good chance Wells gets a look. I find it hard to believe if they like Wells that much LeBlanc would stop them from keeping him.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If LeBlanc makes the team they will be weighing LeBlanc's ST performance over his last two years of performance.   I thought you were against that.

They will be keeping him to help get thru the year. I doubt Sig and Mike care about his spring stats.