Executive Producer of MASN says "nah, I'm good", jumps off sinking ship

interloper

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I think they deserve most of this criticism. All these RSN’s don’t have much in the way of quality programming except for the the games. That said showing the same classic games again and again gets old. 

I mean there are a ton of potential programs I can think of.  A weekly program focused on the farm system.  A program with fan interviews and fan's eye views.  Baseball/O's memorabilia shows.  No doubt they would cost more than infomercials, but they would be cheap.

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I think they deserve most of this criticism. All these RSN’s don’t have much in the way of quality programming except for the the games. That said showing the same classic games again and again gets old. 

Looking at the You tube content available for old orioles games, it's amazing they can't show some of these or do some research and actually show classic games like the Orioles-Brewers double header sweep at the end of the year or the game after where Shelby through out the runner at the plate to keep the lead. Instead we get some lame game from two years ago with the Orioles come back to win. It's really just pure laziness and a lack of true Orioles fans working at the network. 

Where are the fancy editing that MLB network uses to show highlights? Why aren't they out there getting game video of prospects in the minors? There is just so much more they could do that would make MASN fantastic but they really just do the bare minimum. 

Really the best thing MASN does is on the website where Roch and Malewski do a good job or reporting information. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Looking at the You tube content available for old orioles games, it's amazing they can't show some of these or do some research and actually show classic games like the Orioles-Brewers double header sweep at the end of the year or the game after where Shelby through out the runner at the plate to keep the lead. Instead we get some lame game from two years ago with the Orioles come back to win. It's really just pure laziness and a lack of true Orioles fans working at the network. 

Where are the fancy editing that MLB network uses to show highlights? Why aren't they out there getting game video of prospects in the minors? There is just so much more they could do that would make MASN fantastic but they really just do the bare minimum. 

Really the best thing MASN does is on the website where Roch and Malewski do a good job or reporting information. 

Because they want to spend as little as possible on content.

Same reason they were behind the curve in offering HD content.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, interloper said:

It's clear they are going to have to pony up to the Nats and when they do MASN will be close to bankrupt. 

That shouldn’t be the case.    The arbitration award took into account MASN’s economics and was designed to leave them with a profit, just not as big a profit as MASN wanted.    

Now, what I don’t know is how last year’s short season affected their economics.    I posted an article about RSNs having to pay rebates to the cable companies for not providing the amount of game content for which they were contractually obligated.    But I imagine the teams have to pay rebates to the RSNs for the same reason.   I have no idea how those match up.   

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think the issue is for many of those games you can find highlights but not the whole games. They didn’t keep all that stuff back then. 

MLBN over the winter showed Game 2 from 79 ALCS.  Have never seen those games before and I’m too young to remember 79. Would love to see those games. 

5 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I mean there are a ton of potential programs I can think of.  A weekly program focused on the farm system.  A program with fan interviews and fan's eye views.  Baseball/O's memorabilia shows.  No doubt they would cost more than infomercials, but they would be cheap.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t be doing more just saying other than the actual games those are the only things that get eyeballs anyway. 

8 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Sounds like YES Network and NESN.     Both of those networks actually TRY and put a slew of quality programs on them.  

MASN/Orioles put no effort into MASN at all.  Prior posts mentioned it all --- all the way down to that they haven't changed the music or graphics in over a decade.  Its all just a front to grab all of the carriage fees from the cable networks, which is what the ultimate value in a RSN is.   As a team, you own your rights and can do what you want with them, so why not hold onto them and have that control so you can actually have your own network and get those carriage fees (instead of selling them off to a 3rd party and allowing them to make the $$ off of your product, like done with CSN/HTS prior)

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

That shouldn’t be the case.    The arbitration award took into account MASN’s economics and was designed to leave them with a profit, just not as big a profit as MASN wanted.    

Now, what I don’t know is how last year’s short season affected their economics.    I posted an article about RSNs having to pay rebates to the cable companies for not providing the amount of game content for which they were contractually obligated.    But I imagine the teams have to pay rebates to the RSNs for the same reason.   I have no idea how those match up.   

Thanks for the correction, good to know.

There was a second article in the Washington Post this week about the Orioles and MASN being organized for sale.   Two of the points they made was no one will take on MASN  until the legal issues are solved which will be at least a year.  Additionally they stated that there are 3 groups ready to buy the team and that Major League Baseball would prefer that Cal Ripken be in the group that purchases.  They reason for sale they point to is the inheritance tax the Angelos family will be subject to, however with a lawyer as smart as Peter I am sure he protected the family from that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Woody Held said:

There was a second article in the Washington Post this week about the Orioles and MASN being organized for sale.   Two of the points they made was no one will take on MASN  until the legal issues are solved which will be at least a year.  Additionally they stated that there are 3 groups ready to buy the team and that Major League Baseball would prefer that Cal Ripken be in the group that purchases.  They reason for sale they point to is the inheritance tax the Angelos family will be subject to, however with a lawyer as smart as Peter I am sure he protected the family from that.

More evidence that MLB has it out for the Orioles.

3 minutes ago, Woody Held said:

I took it as a way to keep the team in Baltimore.   Cal would more likely be in a local group.

It is a way to help placate the masses.  Cal doesn't have the money to be in a position of power.  Maybe he can be the hatchet man and fire people like the Marlins have Jeter doing.