The Catching Situation

Legend_Of_Joey

Personal feeling aside...

Severino and Sisco have absolutely sucked this Spring. I know a lot of people will say “it’s Spring Training, I don’t care.”

But when the two “locks” are both struggling at the plate AND behind the dish, something has to give. As of this post, Severino is hitting .080 with one extra base hit this Spring and in today’s game so far, made Mike Piazza look Johnny Bench. The look of “not caring” while behind the dish last year is carrying over. 

Sisco has been better with the bat, but has also shown why he shouldn’t be behind the plate. Multiple steals, poor game calling and weak defense.

When your starting rotation looks to be made up mostly of “fresh off the farm” arms, with several more on the cusp, the last thing you want your pitchers to have is a giant hole behind the plate (and in the infield too, but that’s another topic.)

I hope during these last 2 weeks, Hyde and company are paying attention and not just checking their NCAA brackets.

8 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Uh, not play them?

Use Wynns and Cuiffo (who is apparently a very good defensive catcher) or trade for someone’s Taxi Squad bound guy who is probably an upgrade over Sisco and Severino behind the dish.

The notion that a teams taxi squad guy is “probably an upgrade” over both of them is laughable. Unless you’re only solving for defense with no consideration for offense. 

18 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

The notion that a teams taxi squad guy is “probably an upgrade” over both of them is laughable. Unless you’re only solving for defense with no consideration for offense. 

Considering neither is doing either one well at all and defense can help a pitcher...

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Wouldn’t he be traded for 2 DSL prospects by 2025?

I'm hoping we get at least that in return.

In regards to your OP, IMO I'm finding it hard to care about what's going on at catcher when there's a top flight prospect waiting in the wings.  Quite frankly I'd hope that Severino, Sisco, or Ciuffo can show enough to be a firm backup for when AR arrives.  

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Personal feeling aside...

Severino and Sisco have absolutely sucked this Spring. I know a lot of people will say “it’s Spring Training, I don’t care.”

But when the two “locks” are both struggling at the plate AND behind the dish, something has to give. As of this post, Severino is hitting .080 with one extra base hit this Spring and in today’s game so far, made Mike Piazza look Johnny Bench. The look of “not caring” while behind the dish last year is carrying over. 

Sisco has been better with the bat, but has also shown why he shouldn’t be behind the plate. Multiple steals, poor game calling and weak defense.

When your starting rotation looks to be made up mostly of “fresh off the farm” arms, with several more on the cusp, the last thing you want your pitchers to have is a giant hole behind the plate (and in the infield too, but that’s another topic.)

I hope during these last 2 weeks, Hyde and company are paying attention and not just checking their NCAA brackets.

They are both terrible. I always looked sideways at Sisco’s D but was told he would hit enough to compensate. I never agreed with that and still don’t, but his Defensive stats were actually better than Wynns.

Severino is lousy. I wouldn’t mind letting Ciuffo play, or Wynns or anybody.

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

In fairness to Joey, having good defense and no offense is better than being terrible at both.

• Upvote 1