Strangest fact of O's 2021 ST

wildcard

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

You missed the point.  Sure some outfielders also play 1B.   The strange part is Mountcastle hasn't all spring.  Even though the outfield is crowded with more OFers to come. And last year the O's wanted him to play 1B.   To not even get a few games there in ST this year strikes me as strange.

Fair point.   I guess they just wanted to get him as many reps in the OF as possible this spring since that will be his principal position and he’s not that experienced out there.  

Mountcastle played 75 MLB innings at 1B last year and 192 in LF. I would have figured out a way to get him a couple of innings at 1B this Spring. It's likely he will be transitioning between outfield and infield in some games this season. Might as well get a taste when the games don't count.

6 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Mountcastle played 75 MLB innings at 1B last year and 192 in LF. I would have figured out a way to get him a couple of innings at 1B this Spring. It's likely he will be transitioning between outfield and infield in some games this season. Might as well get a taste when the games don't count.

And you don’t think the Os worked him out at first this spring?

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If a team isn't trying to be competitive do the games really count?

The O's won't suffer a bit if a rusty Mountcastle gets a start at first in July.

Yeah, OK. 

But I would still get him a couple of innings of in-game play. Doing things helps all of us get more comfortable. I don't think an inning or two here and there would have changed any roster construction. They found a way to get Wilkerson in two games at 1B and Valaika in five. Maybe those innings logged at 1B changed the calculus, but I doubt it. And if/when either of those guys gets innings at 1B this season, they are definitely going to be rusty at the position regardless of the Spring innings. I'd rather make a player at the core of my team comfortable than worrying about the near future of utility players in a non-competitive season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm jealous. Not much in the way good pizza around me. But even not great pizza can be satisfying when you're hungry enough.

I always say, pizza is like sex. Even when it's bad it's still really good.

?