Roster moves: Tate, Sulser make roster, Lakins optioned; Plus more

Legend_Of_Joey

32 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Is LeBlanc out then? 

I considered Fry, Scott, Valdez, and Armstrong to be locks. If both Rule 5 guys, Tate, Sulser, and Plutko are all in then there's no room for LeBlanc in a 9 man pen.

The only thing I can figure is maybe Ruiz is out, or Franco goes to the Alternate site initially. That would mean they take 15 pitchers on OD and make a move in a week or two. I know, it sounds odd. But so does re-signing LeBlanc and then cutting him a few days later. Or maybe there is an injury to a pen guy we do not know about yet. Maybe Sceroler has a sore pinky toe or such. IDK

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think players are typically on that list for that long.  A move will have to be made shortly unless they want him to go down to the camp and throw a few innings to get his arm warmed back up.  

Either way,  the decision will be coming quickly.

Sulser or Tate get sent down. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's had some bad luck.  I can't find his injury history anywhere, but it always seems like a hamstring strain, torn something, etc.  IMO, those are conditioning issues.  Him missing a flyball and getting donked on the head and getting a concussion is a bad luck byproduct of him being bad in the field.

So some of it has been bad luck, some of it is conditioning.

His ankle injury during the Texas series was all luck too.

Can't say I'm too excited about seeing Sulser on the roster instead of Lakins--last season's performance should get more weight than spring training performance in my opinion.  But I'm sure Lakins will be up at some point, and we're talking about one of the least important roster spots in any case.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

Can't say I'm too excited about seeing Sulser on the roster instead of Lakins--last season's performance should get more weight than spring training performance in my opinion.  But I'm sure Lakins will be up at some point, and we're talking about one of the least important roster spots in any case.  

I do agree that there seems to be too much importance placed on ST though.

Your post is spot on across the board.  It may not be an important spot but don’t love the way you come to the conclusion either.

53 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think players are typically on that list for that long.  A move will have to be made shortly unless they want him to go down to the camp and throw a few innings to get his arm warmed back up.  

Either way,  the decision will be coming quickly.

There will be lots of movement. Stewart should be back by the home open opener which will necessitate another move (Ruiz to alternate site?). I think all the guys in the bullpen with options will have them used this season to essentially have an 11 or 12 man pen.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

There will be lots of movement. Stewart should be back by the home open opener which will necessitate another move (Ruiz to alternate site?). I think all the guys in the bullpen with options will have them used this season to essentially have an 11 or 12 man pen.

If the pitching holds up in spurts can always go back to an 8 man pen. The 2 Rule 5 guys hurt there since we can’t option them. 

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

Those guys are interchangeable and optionable and will be up and down all year as extra bullpen pieces. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Ah, makes sense because I was starting to think Sulser has incriminating photos of Hyde or Elias.

It’s hard to ignore Sulser’s splits. If he could just figure out some weapon against RH. Easier said than done I know.