John Means 2021

Il BuonO

I was at work following it on GameDay, and especially early on I was trying to get some work done so wasn't hanging on every pitch. (Later I gave up trying to work, couldn't help it).  And what seemed to impress me was how fast he was working.  I'd go away from the he for what felt like a minute or two and it seemed like a whole half inning had gone by.

I'm really looking forward to watching this tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Here's my question.

If there's a game where no batter reaches base for 10 innings, and the only player to "reach" base is the ghost runner in the 10th, is it a perfect game, assuming the pitcher pitches all 10 innings? Just another reason to get rid of that abomination.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

Here's my question.

If there's a game where no batter reaches base for 10 innings, and the only player to "reach" base is the ghost runner in the 10th, is it a perfect game, assuming the pitcher pitches all 10 innings? Just another reason to get rid of that abomination.

That’s a perfect game.  And it’s zero reason to eliminate the rule.   

• Haha 1

I'm  one of the few posters on this board old enough to recall the Orioles last no hitter by 1 pitcher (Palmer in '69). It's been quite a long wait, congratulations John Means!

It's too bad it wasn't a perfect game and no it's not perfect if any batter reaches base for whatever reason.  But a no hitter is still quite an accomplishment!  

I recall when Mussina was pitching for the Yankees he was 1 strike away from a perfect game and gave up a single to Carl Evert. So he didn't even get a no hitter.  The tension is really there especially with two outs in the 9th.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s a perfect game.  And it’s zero reason to eliminate the rule.   

But there’s a runner on base. I agree it’s probably still a perfect game but there’s still an inconsistency. What if the runner scores on a stolen base and then a sac fly? Is it a perfect game? It’s now possible for a pitcher to pitch a perfect game and lose. That runner should not be on second base. He did nothing to achieve it. 

1 hour ago, LocoChris said:

But there’s a runner on base. I agree it’s probably still a perfect game but there’s still an inconsistency. What if the runner scores on a stolen base and then a sac fly? Is it a perfect game? It’s now possible for a pitcher to pitch a perfect game and lose. That runner should not be on second base. He did nothing to achieve it. 

It’s possible to pitch a no hitter and lose, and a few actually have

1 hour ago, GuidoSarducci said:

It’s possible to pitch a no hitter and lose, and a few actually have

Harvey Haddix? Or was he the guy to pitch 2 no-nos in a row? Some book of amazing performances I read as a barely teenager.

Still, Means has been terrific all season, improving to 4-0 with a 1.37 ERA. Batters are hitting .135/.187/.237 against him. Maybe he doesn't throw as hard as Jacob deGrom or Gerrit Cole, but he has been every bit as good. Yes, he's allowing a .158 BABIP and that won't continue, but he does appear to be one of those pitchers who consistently limits hard contact, with a .256 BABIP in 2019 and a .216 in 2020. He's the real deal. Not bad for a guy who received no college offers out of high school and once considered retiring while in the minors.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/31396231/baltimore-orioles-john-means-others-just-missed-pitching-perfect-game

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LocoChris said:

Here's my question.

7 hours ago, LocoChris said:

Paraphrasing from a book on cricket I've been reading: "You don't change cricket to make it more fun and engaging.  That's not cricket.  Cricket is what it was 150 years ago.  It's not supposed to be more fun.  It's part of the culture.  It's good for you, like medicine and religion."

Yep, no reason to change baseball to make it more exciting and engaging.  That's not the point.  The point is even if nobody is watching it's good for you, like eating your boiled asparagus.

22 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Paraphrasing from a book on cricket I've been reading: "You don't change cricket to make it more fun and engaging.  That's not cricket.  Cricket is what it was 150 years ago.  It's not supposed to be more fun.  It's part of the culture.  It's good for you, like medicine and religion."

Yep, no reason to change baseball to make it more exciting and engaging.  That's not the point.  The point is even if nobody is watching it's good for you, like eating your boiled asparagus.

The people want butter on their asparaguy!