More on Roberts and Chicago

BillySmith

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/1234810,CST-SPT-cub22.article

Got the link from MLBTraderumors.com. Nothing new except Sweet Lou backing off on his defense of Soriano as being his leadoff hitter without exception.

Talked about the need to add LH hitting and that it has been discussed since the season ended.

Talked about Hendry being thought to still have interest in Roberts.

And talked about Lou seeming openness to moving Soriano out of the leadoff spot.

I think I'm in the camp that we should deal Roberts this winter. His value remains high, Hendry now knows that Pie and Murton aren't that great a part of the package and that he needs to do better, and really 2010 is our first year to get serious about competing.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't know Murton was gone. Where did he end up?

I would think any deal would begin with a pretty good young starting pitcher. You would think Cedeno would be in there. Maybe a handful of young position players to boot.

He went with Gallagher and Patterson to Oakland for Harden.

I hope and pray, for the sake of both teams and the player involved, that this situation does not drag on all the way to spring training like it did last year. Roberts should either be re-signed or dealt by the end of the winter meetings.

Not eager for another offseason of Cubs fans telling us how good their prospects are and that how (insert names instead of EPat, Murton and Cedeno) are just waiting to demonstrate how their minor league numbers convert easily into Brian Roberts major league production.

The Cubs system has some intriguing names, but I do not know if they have a satisfactory top 50 type prospect to get this done.

I hope and pray, for the sake of both teams and the player involved, that this situation does not drag on all the way to spring training like it did last year. Roberts should either be re-signed or dealt by the end of the winter meetings.

You would think things would be a little clearer this time around. Hendry must a good idea of what he's got to come up with, even though Roberts is a year closer to free agency. AM would seem to be a pretty good spot.

You would think things would be a little clearer this time around. Hendry must a good idea of what he's got to come up with, even though Roberts is a year closer to free agency. AM would seem to be a pretty good spot.

Unless Roberts doesn't get extended. If he doesn't by spring training, he'll walk into free agency which would severely cripple his trade value. At least that's how I view it.

Archived