The defense thread 2021

Frobby

As I noted in the Orioles by month thread, statistically the O’s defense was quite good in April: only 5 unearned runs and 12 errors in 26 games, and generally positive advanced metrics as well.   We tend to obsess over the bad plays we see, but the numbers suggest the Orioles are making bad plays less often than most teams so far this year.    

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would you say he's been the better of the two behind the plate this season?  (That is what I've been seeing)

I think Sisco has been the better of the two.    He’s the better pitch blocker and, though he has the weaker arm, he’s been more successful preventing steals than Severino so far.   I think Seve might still have an edge in framing, though neither is very good.  Seve flat out drops a lot of pitches, though.

Numbers:

Severino 151 innings, 2 PB, 8 WP, 6 SB, 0 CS, 0 Rtot, -5 Rdrs, -1.8 FRM, CERA 4.11

Sisco: 77.2 innings, 2 PB, 3 WP, 1 SB, 4 CS, +2 Rtot, 0 Rdrs, -1.2 FRM, CERA 3.82.    

• Thanks 1

Game 27, May 1

- Austin Hays made a sliding catch on a fly ball to short LF.

- In the 8th, DJ Stewart made a great catch in foul territory and then smacked his head on the edge of the bullpen roof in RF but held on to the ball.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Game 27, May 1

- Austin Hays made a sliding catch on a fly ball to short LF.

- In the 8th, DJ Stewart made a great catch in foul territory and then smacked his head on the edge of the bullpen roof in RF but held on to the ball.   

Was the Stewart catch great or reckless?   The O's were up  by 5.   The ball was foul.  Is he really worth it to get hurt  at that point in the game?  He was very lucky to just be sore after hitting the bullpen roof with his head.

46 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Was the Stewart catch great or reckless?   The O's were up  by 5.   The ball was foul.  Is he really worth it to get hurt  at that point in the game?  He was very lucky to just be sore after hitting the bullpen roof with his head.

I wouldn't say it was reckless. He's just trying to prove himself and playing hard. I can't fault him for that. Just glad he seems to be okay.

5 minutes ago, linedrive said:

I wouldn't say it was reckless. He's just trying to prove himself and playing hard. I can't fault him for that. Just glad he seems to be okay.

Is he?  That sure looked like a concussion kind of hit.   I hope he feels good both now and tomorrow.

Did you see what he said after the game?  He said he was told that that roof had just been covered with foam his off season.  And said thank goodness it was because otherwise he would have been going to the dentist.

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

See ball, catch ball.   I doubt he had any idea he’d run into the bullpen roof

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

See ball, catch ball.   I doubt he had any idea he’d run into the bullpen roof

I agree with this.  But that is a problem.  He should have known he was going to run into something.  That his body was going to pay a price.  Defensively players have to be aware and stay under control.  He did not go into a slide to try to protect himself.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I agree with this.  But that is a problem.  He should have known he was going to run into something.  That his body was going to pay a price.  Defensively players have to be aware and stay under control.  He did not go into a slide to try to protect himself.

If he slides he busts his knee on the concrete bullpen ledge. Been there done that.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

And if he lets it fall he faces the scorn of OH posters who call him unathletic.

No joke.   The guy can’t win.    Honestly, the momentum in that game had been trending Oakland’s way for a few innings and I was glad to see Stewart get that out.   

Game 28, May 2

I didn’t see much of this game, but it sounds like the defense was a bit of clown show.   Urias with two errors, Stewart with a throwing error, and then a key play in the 7th when, with a runner on 2B, Franco fielded a ball and threw late to 1B and the runner scored all the way from 2B when Mancini couldn’t get the ball out of his glove.  At least, that’s how the play was described by the radio announcers.   Listening to the play, it seemed like almost the opposite of the Manny “don’t throw it away...don’t throw it all” play, i.e., Franco never should have thrown the ball and if he’d faked it he might have deked the runner into getting caught off 3B.   But I don’t know that, as I didn’t see the play.