Roch is obsessed with trading Santander

wildcard

2 hours ago, Philip said:

The problem is that he just got over cancer. Nobody is going to risk a lot on a guy because of the danger, however small, that the cancer will return. Nobody’s gonna say it, but that’s in the back of everybody’s minds and that’s why I don’t think anybody’s gonna offer anything meaningful for him.

Mancini is going to remain an Oriole.

I think you are flat wrong that nobody would take that risk, if he’s performing well.     He’s only under team control for two years anyway.

In any event, let’s see how he does and then we can worry about it.   

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Personally, I hate thinking about trades between April and June.   I just want to enjoy watching the season unfold and root for the players we have.   The odds that we engage in any major trades before July 1 are minimal, and if they do happen, I’m willing to be taken by surprise.   

As to Roch, I read his blog just about every day and have not noticed any obsession with trading Santander.    He wrote about it a couple of times in January - meh. If scouts are looking at him, they’re looking at him.   

Looks like an obsession to me.   And these are only the ones I could see from the headlines.  I am sure there are other mentions is some of his other articles.

April 5th: Teams Scouting Santander while his swing brings stellar stats

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/04/teams-scouting-santander-while-his-swing-brings-stellar-stats.html

March 9th:  Does Santander make it through the season as a Oriole?

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/03/does-santander-make-it-through-season-with-orioles.html

Feb 23rd:  There are no hard feelings weighing down Orioles outfielder Anthony Santander in camp. He wasn’t bothered by the trade rumors this winter.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/02/santander-comes-to-camp-healthy-and-without-hurt-feelings.html

Feb 12th:  Santander isn’t untouchable in a trade and the Marlins expressed their interest. His salary is set at $2.1 million after the Orioles won their case in arbitration.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/02/40-man-roster-could-require-restructuring.html

Feb 3rd:  Do the O's have other trade chips stacked on their table?    The question was delivered with Anthony Santander and Trey Mancini in mind.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/02/do-the-orioles-have-other-trade-chips-stacked-on-their-table.html

Jan 22nd: Wonder whether it makes sense to keep or trade Santander.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/01/wondering-whether-it-makes-sense-to-keep-or-trade-santander.html

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the examples.   I’m still not calling it an obsession, but he’s certainly brought it up several times.    Poor guy has to fill space a couple of times every day.   

I don’t think it’s a certainty that Santander is traded during the season.   I’d call it 50/50.    And as I said, personally I’d rather not think about it until July anyway.   I’d rather just watch the guy play.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oriole said:

I’ll admit I’m overly harsh on Stewart. But it felt like every time I would watch him in the OF he would look clueless and it just made me turn on him. When he was drafted as a sneaky quick OF with a good eye and unique batting stance I was actually really looking forward to how his career would unfold. But nothing like a good old fashioned baseball to the noggin to make those good vibes get sour. 

I don't think he was a bad fielder to begin with but I think the mistakes compounded on him and he's lost some confidence.  Seems like after he's made an error he's more hesitant out there and that just leads to further issues.

42 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Looks like an obsession to me.   And these are only the ones I could see from the headlines.  I am sure there are other mentions is some of his other articles.

April 5th: Teams Scouting Santander while his swing brings stellar stats

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/04/teams-scouting-santander-while-his-swing-brings-stellar-stats.html

March 9th:  Does Santander make it through the season as a Oriole?

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/03/does-santander-make-it-through-season-with-orioles.html

Feb 23rd:  There are no hard feelings weighing down Orioles outfielder Anthony Santander in camp. He wasn’t bothered by the trade rumors this winter.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/02/santander-comes-to-camp-healthy-and-without-hurt-feelings.html

Feb 12th:  Santander isn’t untouchable in a trade and the Marlins expressed their interest. His salary is set at $2.1 million after the Orioles won their case in arbitration.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/02/40-man-roster-could-require-restructuring.html

Feb 3rd:  Do the O's have other trade chips stacked on their table?    The question was delivered with Anthony Santander and Trey Mancini in mind.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/02/do-the-orioles-have-other-trade-chips-stacked-on-their-table.html

Jan 22nd: Wonder whether it makes sense to keep or trade Santander.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/01/wondering-whether-it-makes-sense-to-keep-or-trade-santander.html

Stupid baseball reporter reporting about baseball news!  

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Stupid baseball reporter reporting about baseball news!  

Good writers find things to write about that are interesting, and don’t necessarily just report the news of the day, because that creates problems when there is no news of the day.

Bad writers rehash stuff over and over

Just now, Philip said:

Good writers find things to write about that are interesting, and don’t necessarily just report the news of the day, because that creates problems when there is no news of the day.

Bad writers rehash stuff over and over

It’s an ongoing story that should be covered.  Anyone bashing him for that is being absurd.

Its HIS JOB!!!  Everyday in your job, I’m sure you do a lot of the same things.  That’s the way it goes.  Why would his job be any different?

Its not an obsession, it’s his job.  He isn’t pushing a narrative (like most of the media likes to do nowadays) to run Santander out of town.  He is writing about what he hears and is told, like he should.  

If he hears info from a team that is interested in Santander tonight, I would hope he would report on that too.  It’s not some vendetta against Santander, like WC wants to make you believe.   That’s just silly.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s an ongoing story that should be covered.  Anyone bashing him for that is being absurd.

Its HIS JOB!!!  Everyday in your job, I’m sure you do a lot of the same things.  That’s the way it goes.  Why would his job be any different?

Its not an obsession, it’s his job.  He isn’t pushing a narrative (like most of the media likes to do nowadays) to run Santander out of town.  He is writing about what he hears and is told, like he should.  

If he hears info from a team that is interested in Santander tonight, I would hope he would report on that too.  It’s not some vendetta against Santander, like WC wants to make you believe.   That’s just silly.

An Obsession is not a Vendette.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not saying it’s an obsession at all, I agree with you completely. I agree that there is no vendetta(a poor choice of word, btw) It is his job to write about stuff. I’m just saying he doesn’t do it very well; he’s not a good writer.

A good writer finds interesting things to write about. That’s very hard to do when there’s little news, but doing it is one of the things that separates the wheat from the chaff.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

My problem is with your title of the thread, sure its a discussable topic, which is what this board is built on.

But to say that Roch has an obsession to trade the dude, is pretty much a blatant lie.

We all have opinions, and usually opinions are usually based on some ponderance of evidence.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m not saying it’s an obsession at all, I agree with you completely. I agree that there is no vendetta(a poor choice of word, btw) It is his job to write about stuff. I’m just saying he doesn’t do it very well; he’s not a good writer.

A good writer finds interesting things to write about. That’s very hard to do when there’s little news, but doing it is one of the things that separates the wheat from the chaff.

I think Roch is in a somewhat unique position.   He doesn’t write articles for a newspaper, he writes a blog and has to update it 2-4 times a day.   In that circumstance, he’s going to repeat himself, or at times remind readers of what he has reported previously on a topic.   It’s inevitable.   

The reason this is kind of a bad thread is that the topic goes nowhere. Let's say he is obsessed, then what? Well nothing really. If he isn't obsessed, well there's not much there either.

We've also got threads musing on Santander trades already. 

So there's just nothing to talk about here.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You're a message board poster, not a major newspaper editor, so you can be forgiven pretty easily for getting the story off by a bit.

The story isn't Roch, it's Santander and whether he'll be traded. Roch is somewhat plugged into that issue, so he's posted on it a bit. As others have said, it's his job. 

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

My problem is with your title of the thread, sure its a discussable topic, which is what this board is built on.

But to say that Roch has an obsession to trade the dude, is pretty much a blatant lie.

We all have opinions, and usually opinions are usually based on some ponderance of evidence.

Obsession: an idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes on a person's mind.

Roch has posted on the trade of Santander several times over months.   Some of it is reporting.  Some of it is his opinion.  He obviously thinks there a decent chance that Santander will be traded.   And considering his position he influences others to think the same way.

Just because he brings it up does not make it true.   2M for Santander is pretty cheap.  And once Adley  arrives Elias outlook on winning may change.   The team has pitching.  They have hitting. They have defense.   What the don't have is front line 2B/SS/3B.   If  Elias believes this off season is the time to flip the switch he may become a player in signing FA infielders to 2 years contracts until his prospects are ready.  There were quite a few SS on the market past off season and several were not signed for more than a year. 

Also if Elias flips the switch this coming off season Santander for 4-5M is probably the kind of player he would want to keep.

Sometimes when players get posted about being traded the player does not appreciate it.   If Santander likes it with the O's I can see that happening with him.   Roch may be putting himself on the wrong side  of  that equation especially because Santander is not a FA until after the 2024 season.  That is after the O's should be contending.

• Haha 1