The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, Moshagge3 said:

The bullpen right now is not versatile. You have Tate and Scott to mix and match with in the late innings, Valdez to close, and basically four longmen/mopup guys that you ideally want to hand a clean inning to. That leaves Armstrong. There's just no good option when it's only the fifth inning but it's high leverage.  

Should Hyde have planned for this? Maybe. We know that Lopez is not effective when hitters see him for the third time. With that in mind I don't think he should have faced Judge and maybe not even LeMahieu. Putting in Armstrong with two out and and only one on at least gives him room to nibble while he feels his way back. People are saying you have to let Lopez "learn" to escape his own messes as if he's a young guy who projects as a frontline starter, but I think he kinda is what he is and you be content with 4 2/3 IP out of him.

I like Wells but can't really fault Hyde for picking Armstrong. Armstrong just didn't get the job done and it looks predictable in hindsight. I cringed as soon as Lopez loaded the bases regardless of who was coming in. 

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

To me the bigger issue is why is Jorge Lopez in the rotation? He did OK but he is a proven not good pitcher. Whether or not Akin is ready there must be better options. Lowther, Wells, waiver wire, somebody. 

Lopez's spot was Akins' to lose in spring training and Akins did everything to lose it.  Lopez is a placeholder until a pitcher at AA or AAA proves he deserves a spot.  I don't think Akins is necessarily next up.  Next up should be the minor leaguer who earns it. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

C'mon Hyde, we're 4 games in and still don't have 5 wins yet !!!

o

We have a .750 winning percentage, on pace to go 121-41. The all-time record for winning percentage since 1901 is .763, by the 1906 Cubs who went 116-36. Those 1906 Cubs didn't even win the World Series that year. I'm tired of this bulls***. 

o

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

In this thread, nobody has mentioned the fact that he sat Santander and let a raw rookie make his debut against the Yankees. There was zero justification for him sitting Santander, who is just the best player on the team.

I don’t think he’s the best player on the team (not sure we really know who that is) but saying there is zero justification, when he had an oblique injury at the end of ST and it’s not exactly a temp for muscles warming up is just wrong.

Maybe it bothers him more batting right handed and they are just protecting him?

Or maybe they were just giving him a day off.  The Os didn’t lose because he didn’t play.  

This is a pretty silly criticism.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

In this thread, nobody has mentioned the fact that he sat Santander and let a raw rookie make his debut against the Yankees. There was zero justification for him sitting Santander, who is just the best player on the team.

Yea I was confused by this too. Seems like he really had the b-team out there yesterday...

My biggest problem is the fact that Jorge Lopez is on the roster in the first place.  He has had pitched 233 innings over several seasons and his career ERA is 6.  That track record should matter more than a small sample in spring training.  I don't know what the organization sees in him.

That said, Hyde probably should have brought in LeBlanc or Fry rather than Armstrong to face Hicks.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

If Ryan McKenna is too fragile to make his debut against the Yankees' fifth starter he shouldn't be in the organization.

Having said that, I said that Santander should have sat against Cole since you have to think that game is a likely L anyway.

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think he’s the best player on the team (not sure we really know who that is) but saying there is zero justification, when he had an oblique injury at the end of ST and it’s not exactly a temp for muscles warming up is just wrong.

Maybe it bothers him more batting right handed and they are just protecting him?

Or maybe they were just giving him a day off.  The Os didn’t lose because he didn’t play.  

This is a pretty silly criticism.

No it’s not. You don’t sit your reigning most valuable player four games into the season in favor of a raw rookie making his debut.

“Rest” is a stupid reason. If he’s injured, that’s great, but he wasn’t.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

No it’s not. You don’t sit your reigning most valuable player four games into the season in favor of a raw rookie making his debut.

“Rest” is a stupid reason. If he’s injured, that’s great, but he wasn’t.

How do you know the oblique wasn’t bothering him?  How do you know that Hyde and Santander haven’t sat down and come up with some kind of “load management” plan to start the year to make sure he doesn’t aggravate it?

And “raw rookie” is pointless.  You don’t need to keep bringing up that meaningless point.

And yes, this is an incredibly silly criticism.

• Upvote 1