The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

As I write, the O's are losing 3-1, and if that holds then I put this loss on Hyde for playing Gunnar out of position at 2B instead of 3B.  Urias is a perfectly capable 2B and has a lot of experience there.  Gunnar had little experience at 2B prior to coming to the Orioles.  The only reason I can think of playing Gunnar there is that maybe it's easier in the clubhouse to justify playing Gunnar over Odor at 2B than to justify Urias playing over Odor at 2B.  If so, that's a dumb reason.  

I think its a conscious choice by the Club at this point Gunnar has middle infield capability and Urias doesn't.    Agree without that they are both playing "out of position".

I was wondering if the second guess was going to be Hyde playing the wrong 2B :)

It definitely hasn't worked out today. That doesn't make it the wrong decision. Your options are:

-Urias at 2B, where he is less effective

-Odor in the lineup, which sucks

-Mateo at 2B, Gunnar at SS

I don't love any of these options but I like what we've seen of #3. I think they don't like Urias at 2B, otherwise they never would have gotten Odor and/or would not have stuck with Odor as long as they have. 

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Mishandled two ground balls that should have been double plays.  Both lead to runs instead of ending innings.

What does this have to do with him playing second base? Are grounders harder to catch there?

One of the plays he didn't make involved bobbling the ball when he went to throw to first for a DP. Once again, that has nothing to do with the position he was playing.

Henderson has been good wherever we’ve played him, including two very nice plays in the first inning.  He rushed those two DP opportunities and the same thing could have occurred if he’d been playing SS.  That’s the way the cookie crumbles.  Not gonna second guess Hyde there.   

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

It definitely hasn't worked out today. That doesn't make it the wrong decision. Your options are:

-Urias at 2B, where he is less effective

-Odor in the lineup, which sucks

-Mateo at 2B, Gunnar at SS

I don't love any of these options but I like what we've seen of #3. I think they don't like Urias at 2B, otherwise they never would have gotten Odor and/or would not have stuck with Odor as long as they have. 

To me the choice is very clear.  Urias is best at 3B, but so is Gunnar.  Gunnar has a lot of experience at 3B and scouts consider him capable of GG-level defense at 3B.  You lose nothing and maybe gain defensively by having Gunnar at 3B instead of Urias.  

Urias to me seems adequate at 2B, while Gunnar has limited experience.  So we are much better off with Urias at 2B than Gunnar.   Maybe we're better defensively with Odor at 2B (I doubt it), but we're better offensively with Urias.  

As for the argument that Gunnar could have made the same mistakes playing 3B, that's true but unlikely.  Turning the double play and starting the double play from the right side of the infield are key 2B-specific skills that Gunnar has not had enough experience to master, and it cost them game 1 today.    

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

It's fair to say that leaving the top bullpen arms for Game 2 has backfired big time. Maybe they lose Game 1 anyway but they at least would have given themselves a shot. Plus if you need Felix Bautista tomorrow there's the rust factor.

Does Hyde ever use his good relievers to keep a game close when the O's are losing?  I think he should, but it seems to me that he mostly if not exclusively uses Bautista, Perez and Tate when the O's have a lead or are tied in the late innings.   

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This pitching staff just isn't that talented outside of a few arms.

Hall is obviously talented but he just shouldn't be here.  He's not ready for this level at this point in this season.

The plan for Hall is just all over the map. Call him up to start a fairly big game. Demote him immediately and announce he's going to be a reliever, just for this month, so he can leverage his few remaining innings to help the big club. Pitch him on Saturday just for ten pitches in a blowout. Bring him back on one day's rest for a critical inning with nobody warming behind him.

• Upvote 3