Yermin Mercedes (White Sox, former O's farmhand)

Tony-OH

Anyone remember when the Orioles thought so little of Yermin Mercedes that they left him exposed to the minor league portion of the Rule 5 Draft? 

I remember wondering why he was left unprotected when at least he could hit a little, even if his defense at catcher was well below par. Only the lowest organizational level players should be left expose to rule 5 and for one to make it to the big leagues is a pretty big hit on the evaluators at the time (Most if not all are out of the org).

Now I'm not even saying his DH only work would have place on this team with Mountcastle needing to DH most of the time right now anyways, but just interesting to see a guy do well when given an opportunity after another organization gave up on him.

He's doing pretty well for the White Sox now at 28-years old. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/yermin-mercedes-485-foot-home-run-for-white-sox

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Anyone remember when the Orioles thought so little of Yermin Mercedes that they left him exposed to the minor league portion of the Rule 5 Draft? 

I remember wondering why he was left unprotected when at least he could hit a little, even if his defense at catcher was well below par. Only the lowest organizational level players should be left expose to rule 5 and for one to make it to the big leagues is a pretty big hit on the evaluators at the time (Most if not all are out of the org).

Now I'm not even saying his DH only work would have place on this team with Mountcastle needing to DH most of the time right now anyways, but just interesting to see a guy do well when given an opportunity after another organization gave up on him.

He's doing pretty well for the White Sox now at 28-years old. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/yermin-mercedes-485-foot-home-run-for-white-sox

I figured you would be reassuring us that letting him go was the right move because of personality/maturity issues.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well he was for real for a little bit.

No matter what Li’l Yaz does from here, he’s had a better major league career than almost anyone expected.   And my guess is he will be at least a viable major leaguer for a couple more years despite his slow start.   

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wasn't a selling point of the Elias and Sig gang that the O's were supposed to be doing this with players from other organizations?

Not that this is necessarily what you're saying, but it's worth noting that he was selected in the MiL portion of the 2017 Rule 5 draft, well before Elias and Sig's arrival.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No matter what Li’l Yaz does from here, he’s had a better major league career than almost anyone expected.   And my guess is he will be at least a viable major leaguer for a couple more years despite his slow start.   

He has done better than anybody with the Orioles would have allowed him to do. I will never understand why the decision-makers refused even to give him the last day of a 47-win season.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gotta wonder if he's for real or not.  

Definitely need to give him some time before saying he's "for real." Mercedes has a 1.298 OPS over 37 PA. 

In 2004, 30-year old David Newhan started his Orioles tenure with a 1.324 OPS over 49 PA in June of that year (1.138 over 94 first half PAs).

Maybe he won't turn into a pumpkin, but I would wait before labeling him as one or the other ("real" or "not")

• Upvote 2