Grayson Rodriguez 2021

LTO's

I think we have to cut all teams some slack this year because of what happened last year and these guy not really pitching much.  It’s uncharted territory.

I think they should have let Grayson pitch a few more innings here and there but I don’t think it’s a huge impact on things.  It seems that they have a pretty strict 5 inning rule on him, which I think is a little silly.  It should be pitch count not innings.

That being said, I would guess he has around 4 or 5 starts left this year?  He should get over 100 IP.  That should put him in line to get 140-150 innings next year.  Figure he starts the year in AAA for 3-6 weeks, likely doing something similar innings wise that he is doing this year.  Bring him up then and you start to stretch him out with him being able to be more full go in the second half of next season.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sweet but that is just MLB right?

Believe so.   I hadn't looked it up before now, but part of the horror was my sense that for the overall season 2021 Orioles pitchers are actually enjoying a rather healthy season.

Minors there's the DL Hall big loss, but for the moment at least perhaps Baumann is getting a couple steps past the graveyard gate.   Keep whistling, Michael!   I think Bradish and Rom have made all their turns along with Rodriguez.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the way he is being handled is going to impact his availability when he reaches the majors.  I don't think that is a nit pick.

I think whatever they are doing now, they feel are in the best interests of their asset for the next 6 or 7 years. I feel like they have reasons, good reasons, for doing so.  I have no proof that they are doing it the right way just as you have no proof it's the wrong way.  I give Elias the benefit of the doubt.  You are the complete opposite.  You mentioned it bothered you that you felt Elias acted and talked like the smartest guy in the room.  I think you have an axe to grind.

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the way he is being handled is going to impact his availability when he reaches the majors.  I don't think that is a nit pick.

I am not very concerned about it.  If it means he throws 20-30 innings less in 2022 than he would have if he’d been built up more this year, I don’t think that’s the end of the world.   In the long run, he’ll be what he’ll be.   As it is, he’s thrown the second-most innings of any pitcher in our MiL system and will probably end the year at 105 - 110 IP (or maybe 120 if he gets promoted to Norfolk and makes two extra starts).   

Rodriguez has thrown 81.1 IP.    I just did a quick tour of the AL East and none of their prospects have thrown more than 89 IP.   None of Tampa’s prospects have thrown as many innings as Rodriguez.    So, I don’t think the O’s are way out of the mainstream here.   They have been a little conservative, not just with Rodriguez, but everyone.   

• Upvote 4

Revisiting estimated K-BB% after AA start #13, I no longer have to cherry pick to Screen 2 to get his name to show up, he is among the Top 25 in Games Started now.

Grayson K-BB% is at 33, second place is 26, third place is 20.

ERA 2nd, WHIP 1st by a lot, BB% alone is even 8th, H/9 1st by a lot

Between the two levels, he is at 1254 pitches in his 18 starts.  In 2019, he threw 1547 in 20 starts.

There are 46 more days until Sunday October 3rd when Norfolk finishes.   7 more turns for a 20 to 25 step?   At his trademark ~75/game, it will take until Turn 22 for him to attain his 2019 pitches thrown mark.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Frobby with the research, facts, and common sense as usual.  And with no agenda.  Bravo!

Ssssh.  Just because he is one of the best posters on the board you don't have to tell him.   It will make his head all big and stuff.

• Upvote 1

Here’s the most innings thrown in the minors for each AL team, from high to low.

CWS 95.1

CLE 94.1

MIN 91.0

OAK 90.1

LAA 89.0

NYY 89.0

DET 87.1

BOS 86.1

TOR 84.1

BAL 82.2

SEA 82.2

HOU 82.1

KCR 81.1

TBR 80.0

TEX 73.2

As a general observation, most of the pitchers with high innings are older pitchers.   For example, the AL leader is none other than Mike Wright.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Ssssh.  Just because he is one of the best posters on the board you don't have to tell him.   It will make his head all big and stuff.

I have no problem in saying he IS the best poster on this board.  But it's good there's only one of him.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I have no problem in saying he IS the best poster on this board.  But it's good there's only one of him.

I consider Tony the best poster.  He goes to the minor league games, has contacts with scouts, shares evaluation of players, posts a ranking of prospects and has run the board for over 20 years.   

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I consider Tony the best poster.  He goes to the minor league games, has contacts with scouts, shares evaluation of players, posts a ranking of prospects and has run the board for over 20 years.   

I was talking about actual posts.

There are many excellent posters on the board, including some who don’t post often but usually have something insightful to say when they do.  I enjoy the different perspectives people bring, even when I disagree with them.   It wouldn’t be fun if everyone saw things the same way all the time.  

This topic about innings/pitch limits is a good example.