O's need a better offense.

wildcard

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

But who cares?  660 OPS or 500 OPS?  Are you still terrible either way.  You are a negative player.

I expect him to be one of the worst position players on the team and probably in the league.  Whether or not his awful OpS is more awful than expected is irrelevant.

It is not irrelevant, for the reason I explained.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It is not irrelevant, for the reason I explained.  

Yea I think you are reaching.  A shiny turd is still a turd.  

He’s probably 3-5 hits away from being “at his expectation” given the small sample size.   Woohoo!

And btw, he is performing above expectations defensively, so it evens out.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I think you are reaching.  A shiny turd is still a turd.  

He’s probably 3-5 hits away from being “at his expectation” given the small sample size.   Woohoo!

And btw, he is performing above expectations defensively, so it evens out.

We are talking about offense here. Check the thread title.  

And yeah, he’s 5 hits away from his customary .225ish BA.   But 5 hits is a lot when you only have 9 in 62 AB.   Anyway, my point was simply that he’s underperformed to this point.   In the same post I said I expected most of these guys to return to their level eventually.   That includes Ruiz.  And no, his normal level is not very good — but it’s significantly better than .145/.221/.274.

Feel like we're hopefully seeing signs of a turnaround.

Hays and Mancini both seem to be barreling more balls lately.  Stewart was in quite a funk there for a week or so but I think had better ABs through the Oakland series.  Mountcastle I feel is swinging better and hit 2 or 3 balls over the weekend that were right at people.  Still looking for him to start driving it a bit more, I wonder if he's sacrificing some power for contact at this point.  He hasn't homered in almost a month at this point.

Urias, Ruiz and the catcher spot still major holes in the lineup, but hopefully we're seeing the offense start to pick it up a bit.

• Upvote 1

On 4/29/2021 at 10:34 AM, OFFNY said:

o

(APRIL 29th)

In their last 8 losses, the Orioles' offense has scored ...... 2, 1, 0, 0, 1, 2, 1, 0 Runs, respectively.

SOURCE: ) Steve Melewski

o

o

5 days later, Melewski adds his $1.25 ...... if my rat's ass of an opinion is worth 2 cents, then I figure that Melewski's rat's ass of an opinion is worth about $1.25. I'll approximate) Frobby's )rat's ass of an opinion at about $2.50, and I'll go all the way up to $5.00 for) sc0tt )and his "Never give up !!!" proclamations.

There Were Good Signs Over the Weekend for the Offense

(By Steve Melewski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/05/there-were-good-signs-over-the-weekend-for-the-offense.html

o

The offense seems to be coming around a little, 4.56 runs/game so far in May.    Most hitters in our lineup have hit well in May, except for Severino, Sisco and Franco.   Franco in particular is really slumping horribly at the moment (.272 OPS in 34 PA).    Severino showed signs of waking up last night.   

We've past the Marlins as well as the Tigers in xwOBA for 28th.

Next up in 27th - the Rays.    Randy Arozarena isn't blowing out Ryan Mountcastle for Rookie of the Year yet, as the Kelenic head start period nears its end.  As great as the stories have been, my guess is Adolis Garcia and Yermin Mercedes won't stay head and shoulders above everyone all year.

I think I think Mountcastle and Santander regression to their norms will balance Mullins/Galvis returning to earth as the second quarter goes along, maybe even be a net positive if Mullins' breakout is truly robust.

Jahmai and Adley can't get here soon enough, no matter how many times they kick the ball or strike out.