Means, Harvey, and pray for rain?

now

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Harvey isn’t exactly dominating people.

Scoreless 2 hitter through 5 innings.  The two hits were singles.  Maybe not dominating but he was effective.

In the sixth he had to on and two out.  All Sulser had to do is get one out without allowing them to score and he failed.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Scoreless 2 hitter through 5 innings.  The two hits were singles.  Maybe not dominating but he was effective.

In the sixth he had to on and two out.  All Sulser had to do is get one out without allowing them to score and he failed.

Effective for sure..Dominant?  Nope.

He walked 3, struck out 1, only through 60% of his pitches for strikes and only missed 4 bats.

Thats not even in the realm of being dominant.  That type of performance will get him knocked around more often than not.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, now said:

Wondering how far the O's can go on the shoulders of two dominant starters (if Means and Harvey can fit that bill).

Thinking, for instance, of the iconic duo "Spahn, Sain, and pray for rain"... or Koufax & Drysdale, or the 1987 WS winning Twins with Viola and Blyleven and little else... other examples? Is it too outlandish to dream such a scenario?

When I was a kid the Angels’ motto was “ Tanana and Ryan and two days of cryin’ “. Back then having two good starters and nothing behind them meant your team might be competitive half the time. We’re not even that good. 

47 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

When I was a kid the Angels’ motto was “ Tanana and Ryan and two days of cryin’ “. Back then having two good starters and nothing behind them meant your team might be competitive half the time. We’re not even that good. 

Point taken... except, "might be competitive half the time" matches pretty well with our current record at 13-14. Now we just need to add a few of those magic beans. 9146664-magic-beans-isolated.jpg

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Effective for sure..Dominant?  Nope.

He walked 3, struck out 1, only through 60% of his pitches for strikes and only missed 4 bats.

Thats not even in the realm of being dominant.  That type of performance will get him knocked around more often than not.

I think Harvey’s performance to date has been OK but I wouldn’t call him dominant in any fashion.   Johnny Sain in his prime, he isn’t.   

Parenthetically, Sain had a three year window where he went 65-41 and ran up ERA+ figures of 157, 112, and 149.   The poem from which “Spahn then Sain and pray for rain” derives was written in the third of those three seasons, 1948. Outside of that three year window, he was a 74-75 pitcher with an ERA+ of 93.    So, “Johnny Sain in his prime” was a brief phenomenon.  Kind of like Matt Harvey in his prime.  

31 minutes ago, now said:

Point taken... except, "might be competitive half the time" matches pretty well with our current record at 13-14. Now we just need to add a few of those magic beans. 9146664-magic-beans-isolated.jpg

I see Kyle Bradish listed 6'4" 190 - I think that is sufficient for a Beanstalk moniker.

Honestly as the team comes together, I think adequate performers in the back half of the rotation is an area of low concern.   It's probable one of Rodriguez or Hall end up there, with much riding on whether that outcome is the good one or the bad one.

Baumann another dart above the Kremer/Akin/Zimmermann/Lowther/Smith/Wells/Bradish/"Maybe Pick 1-5" baseline, but his unavailability to open season pushes chance of zero innings in 2022 up a good deal.

SP4 Harvey and SP5 Lopez now is ho-hum but just biding time.   Kremer I feel like Mountcastle right now - even if the Show beating him up some, see if he can make the adjustments to survive.   That's 75% true for Zimmermann too, though tough job today to avoid 3rd straight bumpy one on road against good team looking to avoid sweep.

Lets try to be more positive rather than spend the day quibbling over semantics.  Of course the Orioles are not real good yet, but it appears they are on the right track.  It is a great distance between where they are, and where they need to be to win it all.  However, considering where they started from, they are progressing.  There will be plenty of times this season where people can recite how awful they are  and what they need to do to  get to the goal line, and then over it.    Right now I am basking in the glory of starting a long road trip by winning the first 2 games vs, a team with one  of the best records in Baseball.  And for now, that is good enough for me.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Harvey isn’t exactly dominating people.

Not to get too wrapped up in semantics, but might as well throw this quote out there, for what it's worth (from yesterday's game wrap, MLB.com): 

“[Harvey and John Means] both dominated the last two days,” teammate DJ Stewart said. “It’s fun to play behind those guys.” 

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Harvey’s performance to date has been OK but I wouldn’t call him dominant in any fashion.   Johnny Sain in his prime, he isn’t.   

Parenthetically, Sain had a three year window where he went 65-41 and ran up ERA+ figures of 157, 112, and 149.   The poem from which “Spahn then Sain and pray for rain” derives was written in the third of those three seasons, 1948. Outside of that three year window, he was a 74-75 pitcher with an ERA+ of 93.    So, “Johnny Sain in his prime” was a brief phenomenon.  Kind of like Matt Harvey in his prime.  

Anyone else check to see if he ended up on the Browns or Orioles as his career wound down?

1 hour ago, now said:

Not to get too wrapped up in semantics, but might as well throw this quote out there, for what it's worth (from yesterday's game wrap, MLB.com): 

“[Harvey and John Means] both dominated the last two days,” teammate DJ Stewart said. “It’s fun to play behind those guys.” 

He’s wrong 

1 hour ago, Oriole1940 said:

Lets try to be more positive rather than spend the day quibbling over semantics.  Of course the Orioles are not real good yet, but it appears they are on the right track.  It is a great distance between where they are, and where they need to be to win it all.  However, considering where they started from, they are progressing.  There will be plenty of times this season where people can recite how awful they are  and what they need to do to  get to the goal line, and then over it.    Right now I am basking in the glory of starting a long road trip by winning the first 2 games vs, a team with one  of the best records in Baseball.  And for now, that is good enough for me.

We do face a daily barrage of "tough love" critiques from locals here as they perambulate their wish list of cuts/trades and call-ups to reach their ideal team of AAAA fodder/replacement/prospects fielded by the current Orioles.  We see wild optimism swings to abject negativity as we do our best at armchair GM'ing.  It is what is is, saith the Philosopher King.  :clap:

Channeling the @OrioleDog sigh