Adley Rutschman 2021

glenn__davis

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Glad to see that he's heating up.  I really don't care about the batting average as long as there's good separation between it and his OBP.  The fact that his walks are increasing is a very good and encouraging sign.

Generally I agree with this sentiment though I do worry that if the batting average is too low, it could be so low at the MLB level as to be unplayable (assuming he hits worse in the MLB).  That being said, I am encouraged that the swing and miss rate is plummeting and many of my fears have been stemmed.

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Generally I agree with this sentiment though I do worry that if the batting average is too low, it could be so low at the MLB level as to be unplayable (assuming he hits worse in the MLB).  That being said, I am encouraged that the swing and miss rate is plummeting and many of my fears have been stemmed.

How low would the batting average have to be unplayable for a + power, takes walks, + defense catcher?

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How low would the batting average have to be unplayable for a + power, takes walks, + defense catcher?

Your assumption is that the walks keep up and the power is the same if the batting average is lower.  At a certain point, pitchers stop worrying about a guy that only occasionally puts the ball in play.  His profile as a .230 hitter is likely very different than as a .190 hitter.  That said the defense does have value, so maybe unplayable as a catcher is a bit extreme.  But a hitting profile like present Gary Sanchez wouldn't be great.

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

Your assumption is that the walks keep up and the power is the same if the batting average is lower.  At a certain point, pitchers stop worrying about a guy that only occasionally puts the ball in play.  His profile as a .230 hitter is likely very different than as a .190 hitter.  That said the defense does have value, so maybe unplayable as a catcher is a bit extreme.  But a hitting profile like present Gary Sanchez wouldn't be great.

Yikes that would be monumentally disappointing. Does his hit tool project to be that bad? 

Should also be noted that Adley hosed somebody at second yesterday. Defense is largely overlooked on the minor league board.  Being at the game, you really could tell he’s a natural back there. Blocked everything that bounced. Hard to really tell how good he was at stealing strikes because the HP Ump yesterday was one of the worst I’ve ever seen at a professional game. Both managers/both teams’ pitchers were yelling all game about the minuscule strike zone. Multiple batters started walking to the dug out thinking they’d been rung up only to walk or hang around for a few more pitches. Game ended up being almost 5 hours because of this. 

Side notes: Santander looked great. Hit one of the longest homers I’ve seen at Bowie until Adley almost cleared the scoreboard later that day. Vespi looked legit. Cadyn Grenier was easily the worst player on the field for Bowie. Helpless at the plate and was not impressive at short either. Would be nice if Hall picked it up in Aberdeen and pushed for that spot.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Only here at the Hangout.  ?

You would really be happy with present Gary Sanchez level production from Adley-- 1:1 overall pick?  I know that Sanchez's WRC+ is 108 presently but let's see if he keeps up the walk rate with that batting average.  When you live in this area, the margin for error is very small.  Guys like this tend to keep going down in production as the years move on once they start hitting around the Mendoza line.

That being said, I am much more sanguine than I was previously.  The k-rate is down and the power seems to actually be coming.  I fully admit that I was very nervous, perhaps irrationally so.  At least you can see with present Adley where he could be present day Sanchez vs. a guy hitting .190 with not much power.     

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

You would really be happy with present Gary Sanchez level production from Adley-- 1:1 overall pick?  I know that Sanchez's WRC+ is 108 presently but let's see if he keeps up the walk rate with that batting average.  When you live in this area, the margin for error is very small.  Guys like this tend to keep going down in production as the years move on once they start hitting around the Mendoza line.

That being said, I am much more sanguine than I was previously.  The k-rate is down and the power seems to actually be coming.  I fully admit that I was very nervous, perhaps irrationally so.  At least you can see with present Adley where he could be present day Sanchez vs. a guy hitting .190 with not much power.     

What I was saying is that the only place that anyone is projecting him to be a .190 hitter is here.

• Upvote 1