Drew Rom 2021

Frobby

I heard different reports on how hard Rom throws.

Earlier this year, a MASN article quoted one Orioles official claim that Rom gained 2-3 mph on his fastball during the off season (hitting 92-93 mph). However, I saw a few comments here, its the same velocity as last year - 88-91. Anyone confirm? Does that change his prospect profile if he throws harder?

Edited by Chaka Garcia

13 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I heard different reports on how hard Rom throws.

Earlier this year, a MASN article quoted one Orioles official claim that Rom gained 2-3 mph on his fastball during the off season (hitting 92-93 mph). However, I saw a few comments here, its the same velocity as last year - 88-91. Anyone confirm? Does that change his prospect profile if he throws harder?

He's sitting mostly 89-91 still, he'll top out 92 or 93 on occasion. The Orioles official is giving the party line of talking up all of their players. It's how the buzz for Bradish got so strong then you see him this year and its like, "Eh, it's ok but the command if not great and the velocity is not sitting anywhere close to what was reported". I've quickly learned to take anything put out by the club on player with a grain of salt. 

As for Rom, he commands his curve and slider so well that he pitches off them for the most part allowing his fastball to play up a little. I didn't see a ton of changeups in his start last night, which was surprising because in the past it was a really good pitch. Saying that, both his slider and curve were very effective against both right-handers and lefthanders though he works mostly with a slider, fastball combination to lefties. 

He didn't have great fastball command last night so the results show how well his slider and curve were working. He's got a great limited effort delivery.

I like him a lot honestly, even without the plus velocity. If he comes out and adds in more change ups for strikes in his next start that would really be impressive.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's sitting mostly 89-91 still, he'll top out 92 or 93 on occasion. The Orioles official is giving the party line of talking up all of their players. It's how the buzz for Bradish got so strong then you see him this year and its like, "Eh, it's ok but the command if not great and the velocity is not sitting anywhere close to what was reported". I've quickly learned to take anything put out by the club on player with a grain of salt. 

As for Rom, he commands his curve and slider so well that he pitches off them for the most part allowing his fastball to play up a little. I didn't see a ton of changeups in his start last night, which was surprising because in the past it was a really good pitch. Saying that, both his slider and curve were very effective against both right-handers and lefthanders though he works mostly with a slider, fastball combination to lefties. 

He didn't have great fastball command last night so the results show how well his slider and curve were working. He's got a great limited effort delivery.

I like him a lot honestly, even without the plus velocity. If he comes out and adds in more change ups for strikes in his next start that would really be impressive.

Similar upside to Wells, maybe MLB 5th starter? Lack of fastball velocity, but good command of 2nd offerings.

1 hour ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Similar upside to Wells, maybe MLB 5th starter? Lack of fastball velocity, but good command of 2nd offerings.

Not really. I think his stuff is better than Wells overall and he does throw a tick or two higher. Wells is more 87-89 T90, and Rom is more 89-91, T93. I've seen Rom's change in the past and it's pretty good so not sure why I didn't see many in his AA debut. Roms slider is better than Wells' and is much farther along than Wells' slider.

If Rom can maintain his stuff up through 100 pitches and he bring uot that change I think his upside is a 3rd starter. Rom has enough stuff to overcome when his fastball command is off. Wells doesn't in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2021 at 9:26 PM, OrioleDog said:

It is Baumann's night, but Rom on the road against the league's best team so far this year has also turned in a very nice outing, letting in just 2 runs in 5 innings with 7/0 K/BB.

As is tradition with him, he stands to win for the moment.

Stop with the pitching wins.  The O's need to look for the next Guthrie, a pitcher who knew how to lose.  It never bothered him because he knew it didn't mean anything. 

5 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Stop with the pitching wins.  The O's need to look for the next Guthrie, a pitcher who knew how to lose.  It never bothered him because he knew it didn't mean anything. 

Yeah, I hate winning.   I’d rather be a gracious loser.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I hate winning.   I’d rather be a gracious loser.   

Yes, tell Palmer wins don't mean anything.

I really like to see pitchers who find a way to win the game. I remember the chases for 20 wins in the 70s and 80s. I miss that kind of baseball.

1 hour ago, orioles22 said:

Yes, tell Palmer wins don't mean anything.

I really like to see pitchers who find a way to win the game. I remember the chases for 20 wins in the 70s and 80s. I miss that kind of baseball.

I think wins were more meaningful in the years when pitchers threw a lot of complete games.  It still was a flawed stat then, but less so than now.   

Yeah, we'll just have to live with the wins when he pitches.  Sigh.  

Rom may not be dominant, but consistency goes a long way, and he provides that.  At age 21 in Bowie, he's one of the few O's prospects that's ahead of schedule.  

Looks like Rom’s command was off a bit last night.   Three walks and he only threw 48 of 84 pitches for strikes.    Was good for three innings but struggled in the final two.   He was fortunate in that the fourth inning ended when the batter was out trying for a triple on a hit that scored two runs.