Bring up Ryan Ripken!

NelsonCruuuuuz

2 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

As a September callup when the team is 35 games out of first place and looking to steal a headline away from the Ravens, sure, why not. Give him an at bat or two.

Same list of reasons why you don't put a random fan in the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Moshagge3 said:

As a September callup when the team is 35 games out of first place and looking to steal a headline away from the Ravens, sure, why not. Give him an at bat or two.

If we're going to go all St. Paul Saints on the league, then I also want a game where they pick a fan to play RF for an inning, and they bring Chuck Estrada back to pitch an inning at 83.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's why I'm in favor of giving everyone the O's sign to a pro contract 300 plate appearances or 50 innings in the majors.  Just in case.

At the very least if you can prove you're a blood relative of a HOF player then you get a late season call up to the show. 

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If we're going to go all St. Paul Saints on the league, then I also want a game where they pick a fan to play RF for an inning, and they bring Chuck Estrada back to pitch an inning at 83.

The game could use a little Bill Veeck.

• Upvote 2

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• I don't know if this explains the Dansby Swanson contract accurately.  Yes, he plays a premium defensive position and does it fairly well, but he was just coming off back to back seasons with 25 and 27 homers.  There was a thought that his bat was finally coming around.  He was a 1st overall pick, teams will always gamble on a guy like that, especially if there's a whiff that he could reach his full potential.  
    • My choice would be Burnes My thought is why not him And Snell AND Roki ?   We can afford it 
    • Yes. Why is this even a pressing question let alone a question at all? He's been worth 6, 3.6, 1.9, and 2.3 fWAR over the last 4 years. He's 30, final year, plays solid to excellent defense, still has plenty of speed (averaged nearly 30 SB the last 4 years), great clubhouse guy, can actually hit righties well and he'll probably end up around $9-$10m. Think you play it back w/ Cowser and Mullins in LF/CF and spend your money on a replacement Santander (O'Neill?) and another OF. 
    • And this is before the Off Season has even begun. I'll wait and see. Elias isn't going to telegraph his moves.
    • Dansby Swanson got himself 9 figures with a career 95 OPS+ because, like Cedric, he plays a premium defensive position well. And Cedric would only get the hypothetical $15 million for 2026 being discussed if he earned it because that is how club options work. To get him to even consider giving the Orioles a club option though, you would have to make it worth his while, and a $1 million dollar buyout definitely does not do so.  
    • Either would be great. I do generally like shorter term contracts because of reducing the risk. But I think I like Burnes more. Snell is 2 years older, which is why I presume you went with 4 years for him, but he does have durability concerns. If we break down each pitcher in terms of times pitching more than, say, 100 IP, 130 IP, 150 IP, and 180 IP: Burnes also hasn't been a full time starter in the majors since 2021. So, presumably, there's less wear/tear.  Think my main takeaway here is that Burnes has been a full time starter in the majors for the last 4 years and he's went 160+ in all 4 and went 190+ in 3 of them. Snell has been entirely used as a starter and has only eclipsed the 160 IP mark 3 out of 9 of his seasons and only once in the last 4 years did he go more than 130 IP.   I'd gladly take either, though.
    • I know many O's fans love Cedric.  And that is fine.   But Cedric has put up a 710 to 721 OPS for the last 3 years.    And while his defense is great not too many players with that OPS gets a 15m salary or a 5m buyout. If you step back and realize that Cedric as good as he is on defense is a platoon player with a 710 to 721 OPS he is likely to consider a club option at 11M for 2026 with a 1M buyout IMO. If you think differently please show the players with a 15m salary and that OPS.   That would be interesting.
  • Popular Contributors