2022 early look top prospects

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You will feel good no matter who the pick is.  Not sure why you are trying to hide that.

Ha.  I see that CoC liked your comment too!     I prefer Druw Jones.   There are some picks I like better than others but, yeah, I won't flip out even if they take a complete surprise.    Did it look like I was trying to hide something?    

• Upvote 2

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/jim-callis-why-o-s-could-go-termarr-johnson-at-no-1

Callis is guessing we will take Termarr.

“I will never preface this by saying, I don’t think anyone knows for sure and I don’t think the Orioles are going to tip their hand,” Callis said in a recent interview. “This is just based on piecing some things together. This stuff is so fluid but I have heard after taking outfielders the last two years, that everything being equal, they prefer an infielder. That is one. And they are going to save money on that pick no matter who they take because the signing slot for No. 1 is $8.8 million dollars.

“They are going to spend some money over the whole draft, but the Orioles have always looked to find that sweet spot between talent and cutting a deal. The last two years they prioritized cutting a deal and pushed guys up the board. I think Termarr is worthy of the No. 1 pick, but I also think of the guys they are looking at, he might produce the biggest discount also. He’s got the potential to last the longest in the draft if he doesn’t go No. 1. I’ve heard that he wants to go No. 1 and he might be willing to cut a deal more than other guys might.

“So kind of reading the tea leaves. But he’s the best pure hitter in the draft. There is nothing to argue with there. That is the thinking of that projection and mock, but nothing is locked in stone by any means.”

Watched this video of Brooks Lee's offensive highlights.  He has an impressive bat and has hit wherever he has played, including over .400 at Cape Cod last summer.  Not sure how likely he is to stay at SS.  Just seems like someone Elias might choose because he is closer to the majors.  Druw Jones is still who I would like to see picked.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 86this said:

How does Holliday get named High School Player of the Year if Drew Jones is the consensus top prospect in the draft? Do scouts believe Jones is likely to develop / improve more so than Holliday going forward? 

EDIT -- in 2018 Cole Winn was named the BA High School Player of the Year, and yet six High School kids (including Grayson Rodriguez) were drafted ahead of him that year. Same thing happened with winners MacKenzie Gore in 2017 and Kyle Tucker in 2015. So it doesn't seem that rare for someone with this honor not to end up being the first High School player chosen in the next draft. 

On 6/25/2022 at 11:15 PM, RZNJ said:

Ha.  I see that CoC liked your comment too!     I prefer Druw Jones.   There are some picks I like better than others but, yeah, I won't flip out even if they take a complete surprise.    Did it look like I was trying to hide something?    

Druw Jones, Holliday, Temarr Johnson, Brooks Lee, and Elijah Green all look like really top prospects who you can make good arguments for at 1:1, to me. I don't think we should be disappointed with any of those picks. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

How does Holliday get named High School Player of the Year if Drew Jones is the consensus top prospect in the draft? Do scouts believe Jones is likely to develop / improve more so than Holliday going forward? 

EDIT -- in 2018 Cole Winn was named the BA High School Player of the Year, and yet six High School kids (including Grayson Rodriguez) were drafted ahead of him that year. Same thing happened with winners MacKenzie Gore in 2017 and Kyle Tucker in 2015. So it doesn't seem that rare for someone with this honor not to end up being the first High School player chosen in the next draft. 

Pretty simple.  It’s about who had the best HS season, not who is the best pro prospect.   I believe Matt Hobgood was the Gatorade POY as a senior in HS.