2022 early look top prospects

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

His tweet said he was 10-1 on the mound.  He must have pitched quite a bit to get 11 decisions. 

Thanks.  I got so caught up in the gaudy offensive numbers that I missed that part.   I’m kind of with you that the tweet seems a little self-absorbed.  Is there another tweet about the team winning the state championship?  Wouldn’t affect my decision about whether to draft him though.   

15 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I agree they have a board with an order but there may not be, and probably isn't a consensus, on that order within the Orioles draft room among scouts, evaluators, and tech.  It may not be as cut and dried as you think.  Obviously, Ciolek and/or Elias make the final call.

Every single person in the room may not agree on who is #1 however, there is definitely a ranking and an overall agreement on who gets the spot. 

This is why you have draft boards and why you rank them.  

The Os will come to an agreement that player X is the #1 guy on their board.  Whoever that person is should be the pick.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thanks.  I got so caught up in the gaudy offensive numbers that I missed that part.   I’m kind of with you that the tweet seems a little self-absorbed.  Is there another tweet about the team winning the state championship?  Wouldn’t affect my decision about whether to draft him though.   

He retweeted an article about them winning the state title

MLB Pipeline's new Top 200 list is out: Top Baseball Draft Prospects (mlb.com).

Jones is their only player with a 65 rank. The next 7 are 60's.

I've been thinking 1:1 is between Jones and Lee, but now I think it could be Green. Similar ceiling to Jones, may be more likely to take the same bonus as Adley ($8.1) and use the $700,000 later.  Can't see Jones saying no to $8.5 though, more than AR and Tork. That would give them about the same savings as they had w/ AR and it helped them get Gunnar.

• Thanks 1

And again, they really don’t need the savings with the budget they have…and you can go over that amount and pay a small penalty.  

The whole overslot Stuff is bs. You don’t need to go underslot early to go overslot later.  There isn’t one reason to do it.  You can still go overslot later by paying slot and you can go over anyway.  What Cohen said is right.  It’s a small price to pay to bring in as much cheap talent as possible. 

Jim Callis has the O’s selecting Matt Holliday’s son.  As stated above, Elias and Co. need to take whomever they rate as the best prospect.  I do not buy into the narrative that the O’s will select a lesser rated player to save money for later rounds. Rather, I think selecting underslot is merely a product of their board being different than  the national consensus. If two players are equally rated, then the signing cost comes into play.  We can knock the selections because there were higher consensus picks available, but history shows the best player in the draft is often not the consensus number 1.    Moreover, guys like Trout, Betts, Judge, and Yelich were not top five (or ten) prospects in any national publication, but in hindsight would easily be worthy of being selected 1-1.   

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-2022-historic-focus-on-offense?t=mlb-draft-coverage

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

He supposedly has a cannon for an arm so I was suprised to hear the commentator say he pitched 39 innings, gave up 37 hits and 22 runs.

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

And again, they really don’t need the savings with the budget they have…and you can go over that amount and pay a small penalty.  

The whole overslot Stuff is bs. You don’t need to go underslot early to go overslot later.  There isn’t one reason to do it.  You can still go overslot later by paying slot and you can go over anyway.  What Cohen said is right.  It’s a small price to pay to bring in as much cheap talent as possible. 

Sure. This would be a great year to go 5% over the aggregated allotted slot values without going underslot on anyone. That is about $800,000 to $900,000. That would offer so much flexibility right there. A wish would be to see trades with the Pads to bring back pick #39 and the Twins for pick #68 to bring the total pool to within spitting distance of $20 million. Then spend 5% overslot to get more high end talent. 

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He supposedly has a cannon for an arm so I was suprised to hear the commentator say he pitched 39 innings, gave up 37 hits and 22 runs.

Well then how did he end up 10-1? Were they playing slow-pitch softball?

On 5/26/2022 at 9:29 AM, SpOkane said:

MLB Pipeline's new Top 200 list is out: Top Baseball Draft Prospects (mlb.com).

Jones is their only player with a 65 rank. The next 7 are 60's.

I've been thinking 1:1 is between Jones and Lee, but now I think it could be Green. Similar ceiling to Jones, may be more likely to take the same bonus as Adley ($8.1) and use the $700,000 later.  Can't see Jones saying no to $8.5 though, more than AR and Tork. That would give them about the same savings as they had w/ AR and it helped them get Gunnar.

Just looking strictly at mlb.com grades and overall top 100 rankings from this link it looks like Jones could go straight to the top of the rankings with guys graduating to the majors this year.  Would be wild to graduate Adley and draft / replace him with Jones as the number 1 ranked prospect in baseball.

• Upvote 2

There’s a little part of me that still wants Termarr Johnson.  I just have this feeling he’s going to be this generation’s Joe Morgan.   I think what’s going to happen is he’ll go 5th or 6th and end up being the best hitter in his class, and a solid 2B.   I do see why Jones is ranked ahead of him due to his defensive tools, but I won’t be surprised if we look back on this and see Joe Morgan vs.  Andruw Jones Sr.

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s a little part of me that still wants Termarr Johnson.  I just have this feeling he’s going to be this generation’s Joe Morgan.   I think what’s going to happen is he’ll go 5th or 6th and end up being the best hitter in his class, and a solid 2B.   I do see why Jones is ranked ahead of him due to his defensive tools, but I won’t be surprised if we look back on this and see Joe Morgan vs.  Andruw Jones Sr.

I share that thought. I’m team Termarr, and think the discount would also be substantial.