2022 early look top prospects

On 5/27/2022 at 8:07 PM, Frobby said:

I will be extremely surprised if Grayson is still in the minors on draft day.  However, it takes 45 days to lose prospect status.  So you are almost undoubtedly right he’ll still be considered a prospect on draft day.   

Sad face

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The more I hear people, McDaniel, Law, Callis, Hoefer, etc. talk about Jones, the harder it is to believe that they'll pass on him.  I hope not.  They can play it straight with slots and still have a great draft but they need to go BPA at 1:1, even if it's full slot or close.

I pray you are right. Very little confidence in Elias. 

Cam Collier isn't going to be the pick, but he was mentioned as Geoff Pontes' favorite (not best) prospect in the latest BA chat. He's 17 and currently playing in the Cape Cod league...I wonder if looking back on this draft, he's going to have been underrated

(Gunnar by the way was his favorite MiLB player)

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, seak05 said:

Cam Collier isn't going to be the pick, but he was mentioned as Geoff Pontes' favorite (not best) prospect in the latest BA chat. He's 17 and currently playing in the Cape Cod league...I wonder if looking back on this draft, he's going to have been underrated

(Gunnar by the way was his favorite MiLB player)

Keith Law had Collier as his #2 prospect on his May 5th rankings, so Pontes doesn't seem to be alone. 

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34084142/how-one-pitching-prospect-change-mlb-draft-forever-not-pitching

It'll get interesting if one of Barriera or Lesko drift towards our second pick.

I don't think they'll get there, but I'd love for it to happen. That said, yeah zero chance I'd take a pitcher top 10. It's such a crap shoot 

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

I don't think they'll get there, but I'd love for it to happen. That said, yeah zero chance I'd take a pitcher top 10. It's such a crap shoot 

Just to be clear, the point was the risk in prep pitchers in the top 10. There have obviously been a ton of college pitchers from the top 10 that worked out.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Just Regular said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34084142/how-one-pitching-prospect-change-mlb-draft-forever-not-pitching

It'll get interesting if one of Barriera or Lesko drift towards our second pick.

I liked this quote by Berriera too:  "I think of it like I'm two guys, a split personality," Barriera said of the dichotomy of sitting out to stay healthy while aiming long-term at increasing his velo. "On the mound, I'm relying on muscle memory and attacking instinctively. If it's before the game, just playing catch, or postgame, doing recovery, I'm a totally different guy, thinking about stuff and analyzing the process. You have to separate them."

Focus on the reps and process during practice and rely on muscle memory in games.

4 hours ago, btdart20 said:

I liked this quote by Berriera too:  "I think of it like I'm two guys, a split personality," Barriera said of the dichotomy of sitting out to stay healthy while aiming long-term at increasing his velo. "On the mound, I'm relying on muscle memory and attacking instinctively. If it's before the game, just playing catch, or postgame, doing recovery, I'm a totally different guy, thinking about stuff and analyzing the process. You have to separate them."

Focus on the reps and process during practice and rely on muscle memory in games.

I'm not in favor of high school kids sitting out championship tourneys, but I definitely support HS kids refusing to throw over 100 pitches.  Obviously it's Berriera's choice to make.   I know there are limits on how much college pitchers can throw.  Are there many limits on high school kids pitching around the country?

https://www.mlb.com/news/three-biggest-stories-to-follow-at-the-draft-combine

Friday will also bring a BP session featuring several of the best hitters in the 2022 Draft class. This is the spotlight teenagers Termarr Johnson (No. 4) and Cam Collier (No. 12), among others, have been waiting for, and it's an event no fan will want to miss.

"Termarr Johnson ... he's probably the best high school hitter to come out of the Draft in, it might be 20 years. Just a great swing -- you're going to see how the ball carries," Callis said. "Cam Collier ... he's still just 17. He's going to take BP. He's one of the best hitters in the Draft, too.

Jacob Berry just sat with Harold Reynolds, etc on the MLB Draft Combine telecast, and my main takeaway was when they did his side by side picture with Drew Brees.

Just catching a couple minutes - pitchers are showing their vertical leaps, first basemen are running sprints, Clubs are getting their beloved Data.