Hyde can’t manage this team

Explosivo

7 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Again, who do you want to manage the club next year if Hyde is gone Sports Guy? Let’s hear it.

I already explained this.  I don’t have a singular person in mind..I have a profile of what I would be looking for.

There are probably 7-15 guys that fit that profile.  Bench coaches, PC, up and coming MiL managers from really good teams..perhaps a former player who exemplifies those characteristics.  I’m not in the game to know all of those names and I don’t feel like doing the research on it right now because I don’t really care who the manager is.  It’s relatively meaningless to me unless you bring in someone what is really bad.

But give me someone who checks the boxes I said and I’m good with it.  But I don’t want to get rid of Hyde until at least after 2022.

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I already explained this.  I don’t have a singular person in mind..I have a profile of what I would be looking for.

There are probably 7-15 guys that fit that profile.  Bench coaches, PC, up and coming MiL managers from really good teams..perhaps a former player who exemplifies those characteristics.  I’m not in the game to know all of those names and I don’t feel like doing the research on it right now because I don’t really care who the manager is.  It’s relatively meaningless to me unless you bring in someone what is really bad.

But give me someone who checks the boxes I said and I’m good with it.  But I don’t want to get rid of Hyde until at least after 2022.

See that’s my point. You can’t even come up with one yet can come up with an arbitrary number like 7-15. It’s predictable. Why would you want to accept the option to extend Hyde after this season? What signal does that send to fans and the clubhouse? We are indeed two years away, but culture change doesn’t occur overnight either.

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You are basically describing Hyde circa 2018. What makes you think the next Hyde would be any better? 

18 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

See that’s my point. You can’t even come up with one yet can come up with an arbitrary number like 7-15. It’s predictable. Why would you want to accept the option to extend Hyde after this season? What signal does that send to fans and the clubhouse? We are indeed two years away, but culture change doesn’t occur overnight either.

Hyde has NOTHING to do with the losing.  The poor signal being sent to the fans is from ownership and, to a lesser extent, the front office.  Fans who don’t see that just aren’t smart people.

As for names, yes you are right..I’m not coming up with names.  I provided you a profile of what I would look for.  I could go through and just randomly name people but I don’t know what the attitude of those people are.  I don’t know what their skills are in terms of working with young players, etc...but those who are actually in the game should know that. 

For years I said, the Orioles need to steal from good organizations and bring in scouts, a GM, etc..from organizations that know how to win and how to build something.  They did that with Elias.  He was the guy they chose but there were other people who could do it as well.  That’s what I would want this time...identify those people and hire the best one.

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

You are basically describing Hyde circa 2018. What makes you think the next Hyde would be any better? 

Well, I think this Hyde is fine, so I don’t see a need to get rid of him.   So yea, I’m good with another one.

The only criticism of Hyde that has any amount of intelligence behind it is that some of the young guys haven’t progressed.  There is some validity to that but not as much as some want to put on it.  That being said, if that is an entire season long issue, it is something to think about moving forward.  

If it is deemed that Hyde can’t develop young players (and really, this isn’t on Hyde all that much anyway), that doesn’t mean Hyde part 2 can’t.  

But again,  Hyde has all the qualities I Want in the manager, so I don’t want him gone.  Now, if there are things that are going on that aren’t reported or have been reported inaccurately, that’s a different story.

But for what we know, I’m good with him through next year.  Next years team should have a lot more talent on it.

This is also completely unfair to Hyde.  He took a job knowing they weren’t going to try and win.  Elias has been lazy building the ML team, in large part because he has the worst ownership group in the sport.  We need to give him a chance when the talent is actually here.  If he fails then, ok I’m good with moving on.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, I think this Hyde is fine, so I don’t see a need to get rid of him.   So yea, I’m good with another one.

The only criticism of Hyde that has any amount of intelligence behind it is that some of the young guys haven’t progressed.  There is some validity to that but not as much as some want to put on it.  That being said, if that is an entire season long issue, it is something to think about moving forward.  

If it is deemed that Hyde can’t develop young players (and really, this isn’t on Hyde all that much anyway), that doesn’t mean Hyde part 2 can’t.  

But again,  Hyde has all the qualities I Want in the manager, so I don’t want him gone.  Now, if there are things that are going on that aren’t reported or have been reported inaccurately, that’s a different story.

But for what we know, I’m good with him through next year.  Next years team should have a lot more talent on it.

This is also completely unfair to Hyde.  He took a job knowing they weren’t going to try and win.  Elias has been lazy building the ML team, in large part because he has the worst ownership group in the sport.  We need to give him a chance when the talent is actually here.  If he fails then, ok I’m good with moving on.

Angelos does suck as an owner.

There are other teams with bad ownership, Marlins, Pirates, White Sox come to my mind pretty quickly.

Not sure he is the worse, hard to define the ineptness in those 4, on which is "worser".

11 hours ago, accinfo said:

The players in the major leagues aren't little leaguers.  Major league managers shouldn't have to teach them "fundamentals".  There is a lack of talent not fundamentals.  When teams lose fans want to fire the manager but that isn't going to solve anything.  Just like firing all the managers Angelos did from 1985 to 2012.  

In any situation that involves a highly detailed skill, it is human nature to put in the effort that is demanded of you. If you see people around you putting in a certain amount of effort, It is only human to not put in any more effort than that. Performing to an extremely high level is hard, it takes maintenance and effort. Nobody pretends that Chris Davis Has put in any effort over the last several offseasons, and why should he? He’s got his money. If he is here, are the players around him effected negatively by his presence and performance? How can anyone suggest they are not?

Nobody on this team appears to be setting any kind of meaningful example for his brothers. There are no apparent penalties for sloppy play, except individual pride. But even individual pride eventually gives in to the lethargy of lack of effort.

Hyde isn’t able to make them care. He has shown no ability to inspire either through threats or exhortation. That alone should be the final straw on the camel’s back.

2 hours ago, Explosivo said:

Again, who do you want to manage the club next year if Hyde is gone Sports Guy? Let’s hear it.

In SG’s defense, not that he needs it, It is entirely possible to think that someone should leave without being able to suggest a logical replacement. That does not at all mean that the person should not leave.

I personally think it is obvious that he should not be fired mid season, that would accomplish nothing. I do however think that he should not be retained beyond the expiration of his current contract

I pity guys who are brought in to manage teams that are in the early stages of a rebuild.   It’s just inevitable that a lot of fans will blame them when the turnaround doesn’t happen as quickly as fans would hope.   

I’m not saying Hyde is the right guy or the wrong guy, in the long run.   But I don’t think the team’s record has much to do with him.   I also don’t think this team is particularly lacking in fundamentals or discipline.   They just aren’t that good, and during a long losing streak every flaw is magnified.   The pitching has been atrocious over the last month, that’s the main problem and not the manager’s fault.   And now the offense is pressing.

I’ll be happy when this losing streak ends, not just because I want to see the team win, but because I get tired of reading all the redundantly negative posts here.   Of course it is completely justified to be negative under the circumstances, but there’s only so much of it I can wallow in.   

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I pity guys who are brought in to manage teams that are in the early stages of a rebuild.   It’s just inevitable that a lot of fans will blame them when the turnaround doesn’t happen as quickly as fans would hope.   

I’m not saying Hyde is the right guy or the wrong guy, in the long run.   But I don’t think the team’s record has much to do with him.   I also don’t think this team is particularly lacking in fundamentals or discipline.   They just aren’t that good, and during a long losing streak every flaw is magnified.   The pitching has been atrocious over the last month, that’s the main problem and not the manager’s fault.   And now the offense is pressing.

I’ll be happy when this losing streak ends, not just because I want to see the team win, but because I get tired of reading all the redundantly negative posts here.   Of course it is completely justified to be negative under the circumstances, but there’s only so much of it I can wallow in.   

Well said, and I share your opinion. It sucks to lose and then it sucks to see so much negativity in here. Some of it, is justified, but posters tend to beat it to a dead horse.

• Upvote 2

Sometimes you play well, and the other guy wins anyway, sometimes you play badly and you win anyway.

It hurts to lose sloppy, And it hurts to lose when the manager makes an obviously bad decision. I fully appreciate the limitations that Hyde has, insofar as we understand them. For all we know, Mike calls him up and says, “we’ve got a scout from the other team here today, play this guy in this position, use these relievers, etc” And Hyde has no choice.

I have made clear my problems with Hyde’s Pitching usage, I justified it multiple times, and people are free to disagree or agree as they choose.

Mountcastle should not be in left field at all, he should be at first base or designated hitter, and that is happening most of the time, so, good.

I said absolutely nothing about third-base beyond wanting to get rid of Ruiz( and loh! It is so!) Because I don’t think there’s anything Hyde can do about the infield except shuffle around guys who are equally bad.

Mainly, it just doesn’t appear that most of the guys are playing to the best of their limited ability. Wilkerson Certainly seems to be, he’s a real scrapper and I’m happy that he’s here, whether he’s hitting 240 or not. I think Valiaka is trying his best even though his best is lousy. Franco, Sisco, Severino, On the other hand all seem to be phoning it in, and until Sisco was optioned, It was very frustrating to constantly watch what appears to be lazy play.

And that is on Hyde. The best tactician who is unable to inspire his troops is a lousy tactician.

36 minutes ago, Philip said:

Sometimes you play well, and the other guy wins anyway, sometimes you play badly and you win anyway.

It hurts to lose sloppy, And it hurts to lose when the manager makes an obviously bad decision. I fully appreciate the limitations that Hyde has, insofar as we understand them. For all we know, Mike calls him up and says, “we’ve got a scout from the other team here today, play this guy in this position, use these relievers, etc” And Hyde has no choice.

I have made clear my problems with Hyde’s Pitching usage, I justified it multiple times, and people are free to disagree or agree as they choose.

Mountcastle should not be in left field at all, he should be at first base or designated hitter, and that is happening most of the time, so, good.

I said absolutely nothing about third-base beyond wanting to get rid of Ruiz( and loh! It is so!) Because I don’t think there’s anything Hyde can do about the infield except shuffle around guys who are equally bad.

Mainly, it just doesn’t appear that most of the guys are playing to the best of their limited ability. Wilkerson Certainly seems to be, he’s a real scrapper and I’m happy that he’s here, whether he’s hitting 240 or not. I think Valiaka is trying his best even though his best is lousy. Franco, Sisco, Severino, On the other hand all seem to be phoning it in, and until Sisco was optioned, It was very frustrating to constantly watch what appears to be lazy play.

And that is on Hyde. The best tactician who is unable to inspire his troops is a lousy tactician.

I think you are using the word justified far too loosely in your posting.

You haven’t justified anything.  You have stated your opinion.  Your opinion isn’t a justification.

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think you are using the word justified far too loosely in your posting.

You haven’t justified anything.  You have stated your opinion.  Your opinion isn’t a justification.

I’ve shared my reasons. You haven’t even addressed them.

point to me.

• Upvote 1