Cadyn Grenier showing signs of life

Frobby

I’ve heard the opinion that Grenier is the best defensive SS in our system, but that still doesn’t tell me if he’d be an above average defender for a major league starting SS.  I’d need to know the answer to that question to know whether he could be a major league starter.   His bat has improved a bit, but I’m guessing he’d still be sub-.700 by at least a little as a major leaguer.   

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve heard the opinion that Grenier is the best defensive SS in our system, but that still doesn’t tell me if he’d be an above average defender for a major league starting SS.  I’d need to know the answer to that question to know whether he could be a major league starter.   His bat has improved a bit, but I’m guessing he’d still be sub-.700 by at least a little as a major leaguer.   

In March fangraphs gave him a 50/55 grade for his fielding. So potentially future above avg major league SS. It also has his speed at 70. A scout type view on it would be nice though

Edited by seak05

2 hours ago, joelala said:

Would he be more valuable than Richie Martin if we were to call him up today?

Well, he's a more steadier defender than Martin and has more pop. But until he can learn to stay away from the slider away he's going to struggle offensively.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, he's a more steadier defender than Martin and has more pop. But until he can learn to stay away from the slider away he's going to struggle offensively.

Still trying to figure out what Richie Martin is offensively. He has one of the ugliest batting stances I've ever seen, and we've talked a lot about his launch angle (which might have improved I'm not sure) and looking overmatched last year until the last two months. He hasn't been a total non-factor at the plate so far this season, so I want to see a bit more. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Still trying to figure out what Richie Martin is offensively. He has one of the ugliest batting stances I've ever seen, and we've talked a lot about his launch angle (which might have improved I'm not sure) and looking overmatched last year until the last two months. He hasn't been a total non-factor at the plate so far this season, so I want to see a bit more. 

His statcast info concerns me. He had very low EV in 2019 and has a very low EV now. Hard to have consistent success when you aren't hitting the ball hard that often.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

His statcast info concerns me. He had very low EV in 2019 and has a very low EV now. Hard to have consistent success when you aren't hitting the ball hard that often.

That’s fair. He did just get back, and has barely played for two years. I liked where he was last Spring, when he was driving the ball gap to gap. His hands were loaded in a much more powerful position. The current iteration does remind me of 2019. He just never seems to get his hands back enough before launch. His trigger needs to be sooner from that pre-pitch relaxed posture. 

• 9 months later...

Full disclaimer: I thought this was an awful pick when it happened but had looked much better at the plate at Bowie last year. However, at Norfolk he looks completely overmatched. And no idea why he is batting 2nd, yikes. But I trust Buck Britton so trust his decision making. 

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Full disclaimer: I thought this was an awful pick when it happened but had looked much better at the plate at Bowie last year. However, at Norfolk he looks completely overmatched. And no idea why he is batting 2nd, yikes. But I trust Buck Britton so trust his decision making. 

He is showing some signs of life again. Has an .845 OPS over the last 7 days and is up to .639 overall on the season. 

• 2 weeks later...

It feels like deja vu all over again.   I saw the box last night when he was 2 or 2 with 3 walks.  Unfortunately, he struck out in the 9th to ruin his perfect day.   He's had a good week or two before.    He does seem to be striking out less and walking more and it's amazing that he's made it to AAA when he really never even hit at any level.      He's getting closer to utility consideration, Richie Martin territory.     

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It feels like deja vu all over again.   I saw the box last night when he was 2 or 2 with 3 walks.  Unfortunately, he struck out in the 9th to ruin his perfect day.   He's had a good week or two before.    He does seem to be striking out less and walking more and it's amazing that he's made it to AAA when he really never even hit at any level.      He's getting closer to utility consideration, Richie Martin territory.     

He definitely brings a utility game to the field. His defense at SS is solid MLB average and above average at 2B. the question how much do you want from the stick. I'll see this now, he's better defensively than Owings at both SS and 2B and can certainly OPS less than .500! lol