Amazing Video on pitchers cheating in MLB

Tony-OH

On 6/19/2021 at 2:27 PM, Can_of_corn said:

That's about a 3% drop from peak and less than a 2% drop from the previous lowest spin rate a few weeks/months ago. I have seen lots of tweets like this that including descriptors like, "wow" but it's hard to believe that a 2 - 3% change in spin rates is very meaningful. It will be interesting to see if there's a bigger drop this week. 

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So no one wants to talk about what happened with Girardi and Scherzer last night?

Scherzer is checked THREE times during the game, to include in the middle of the inning.

After getting the Scherzer death stare Girardi comes out of the dugout chirping and gets the boot.

Is this how MLB is going to "fix" the problem?  By allowing managers the chance to try and disrupt a pitcher's rhythm with checks? 

As is the norm for MLB this whole deal is poorly thought out.

https://twitter.com/jomboy_/status/1407563996694261761?s=24

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Davidson also has a 2.22 ERA and a really nice K/BB.
    • Elias said something to the effect of “Bradish was pitching through an injury and we’re surprised he did that well.”  That’s troubling to me. I think the 2025 playoffs (and 2025 AL East Title) should have been prioritized over squeezing out any innings you can from him for a 2024 AL East title.  It’s just been some questionable injury inaction and focus on hail mary outlooks that has backfired so far. Coming from a very smart Front Office. 
    • We need AAA innings too.  Stoudt, Heasley, or Avila, could go off the 40 man for him.  He's a break glass in case of emergency type arm.  Again, AAA needs SP to finish out the season too.  Trickle down effect.   Edit - or we could just put Bradish on the 60 day IL to free up a 40 man roster spot.  
    • Obviously I'm going to put more weight into what Elias tells the media because he's a pretty straight shooter, but sometimes things change. No one really knows how quick of a healer Bautista is and maybe he's ahead of schedule? Maybe not.  I'm going to assume Bautista is not going to pitch at all this season and if he does, I'll take it as a pleasant surprise.
    • I tend to agree.  RZNJ brings up a good point.  It takes two to tango.  The player has to be on board with the decision.  Impossible to know how it played out internally.  
    • The quote was about the opportunity to be added to another team's 40 man. Maybe this is wishful thinking but to me that is an indication that he's not playing right away otherwise that's what the quote would have said. It's still worth it to him because getting on a 40 man somewhere gets him significantly closer. Even if he doesn't play for the O's, getting DFA'd again would give every other team a chance to grab him, etc. Reading the tea leaves I wonder if Kremer isn't going to be ready any time soon.
    • Perhaps, I don't really know. Since my press credentials were not renewed after COVID, I don't really know the new announcers besides Brett Hollander, due his WBAL days. I knew Arnold a little bit from his Frederick time.  Either way, I don't get the impression that Melanie talks out of turn or doesn't know what she can or can't say. Perhaps she was talking to Hyde and he said something offhand like, "Maybe even Bautistsa will be ready by the playoffs." Who knows?  I've been in a lot of situations talking with players and coaches and I knew what I could or could not say and when it was appropriate to report something, even if it was from an "unnamed source." I'm fairly certain Melanie would not still have a job with the Orioles if she did not know this by now too. 
  • Popular Contributors