Baez to be tried as starter?

Crazysilver03

Baltimore Sun

With as many as four openings in their 2009 rotation, the Orioles aren't ruling out any candidates to start, and that includes Danys Baez.

Baez, who hasn't pitched in a major league game since August 2006 and is trying to come back from ligament-reconstruction surgery, has informed team officials he wants to be a starter in the coming season. Signed to a three-year, $19 million deal after the 2006 season to set up closer Chris Ray, Baez hasn't started a game since 2002, when he went 10-11 with a 4.41 ERA in making 26 starts for the Cleveland Indians.

"He's expressed some interest in preparing himself as a starter, and we'll see how things go from there," Orioles president Andy MacPhail said. "It seems to make sense. I don't know if you lose anything by doing that. Preparing yourself that you are going to start is not going to retard your development whatever the role you end up being in."

Barring a trade, the back end of the Orioles' bullpen is mostly set with Ray, George Sherrill and Jim Johnson, meaning Baez's best shot to fill a key role for the 2009 Orioles is probably in their rotation. Only right-hander Jeremy Guthrie is a lock for next year's group.

"There are probably going to be more openings out of the rotation than out of the bullpen at the present time," MacPhail said.

Baez joined the Orioles' instructional league team and will be "full go" when spring training begins, MacPhail said.

He has a point that it would alleviate a spot in the bullpen. Also, it would be interesting if he could stretch out as a starter as he could be traded or moved, allowing Arrieta or Tillman to take his spot in the rotation later in the summer.

Baseball Cube shows that Baez has only been a starter twice in his career. The first year drafted in 2000 and his 2nd year in Cleveland in 2002. It would be an interesting idea nonetheless.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Typical Oriole MO..... Square peg meet round hole!
Absolutely BB.

This is just beyond stupid....You bring him to ST...If he looks good, put him in the pen...If he sucks, cut him like you did Gibbons or at least try and DL him and hide him in AAA for another month or so.

Absolutely BB.

This is just beyond stupid....You bring him to ST...If he looks good, put him in the pen...If he sucks, cut him like you did Gibbons or at least try and DL him and hide him in AAA for another month or so.

This doesn't hurt anything at all except maybe Baez's arm if he throws too much too quickly during the offseason, and I don't think anyone would care about that.

MacPhail hasn't guaranteed him anything. And if he sucks they can still cut him, it doesn't matter if he's starting or relieving.

By the way, I dont know if MacPhail mentioned that there were up to four openings in the rotation or not, but this suggests to me that there is a good chance that Daniel Cabrera will not be on the 2009 team.

Also of interest is that Johnson is denoted in the backend of the bullpen assuming he doesnt get tried out as a starter.

I don't see why this is such a horrible idea. AM isn't declaring him a lock for our rotation. He's simply saying that Baez wants to prepare as if he's a starter and the club is humoring his request.

It makes perfect sense to me. We are currently on the hook for the remaining dollars of his AWFUL contract, so we might as well keep our options open going into Spring Training. I certainly don't want to see him in our Opening Day rotation, but there's no harm in having him prepare to go longer than 1 or 2 innings. If he makes our roster it most likely would be as a middle reliever or long man anyway. Let him stretch out his arm. There's absolutely no harm in that...

What a horrible idea.

Why is it a horrible idea? He isnt guaranteed a spot. It wont be a Sarfate situation as he has plenty of time to ready himself for the starter role.

There is nothing to lose by allowing him a chance to start.

Besides, in the bullpen, we have the following options:

Chris Ray

J.J. Johnson

George Sherrill

Jim Hoey

Radhames Liz

Bob McCrory

Jim Miller

Kam Mickolio

As well as Bass, Burres, Cormier, among others that could also fill the spot.

By the way, I dont know if MacPhail mentioned that there were up to four openings in the rotation or not, but this suggests to me that there is a good chance that Daniel Cabrera will not be on the 2009 team.

Also of interest is that Johnson is denoted in the backend of the bullpen assuming he doesnt get tried out as a starter.

Johnson should also go into spring training getting a look as a starter, IMO.

I can't fathom why some people freak out about stuff like this. Who cares who gets a shot? It's not like MacPhail said, "Danyz Baez will be in our starting rotation."

Baltimore Sun

He has a point that it would alleviate a spot in the bullpen. Also, it would be interesting if he could stretch out as a starter as he could be traded or moved, allowing Arrieta or Tillman to take his spot in the rotation later in the summer.

Baseball Cube shows that Baez has only been a starter twice in his career. The first year drafted in 2000 and his 2nd year in Cleveland in 2002. It would be an interesting idea nonetheless.

I don't think Tillman will be ready around the all-star break. And if you were referring to Arrieta/Tillman arriving as September call ups, I just don't see Baez lasting that long.

Archived