Baez to be tried as starter?

Crazysilver03

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow SG you sure are for firing, cutting or releasing people connected to the O's FO. There is just no harm or waste of time to let Baez try it as a starter. Will he fail? Most likely. But then just move him to the BP.

You know SG i usually like to read your posts. They are informative. But recentley you seem to be bashing the the FO. maybe bashing is too strong a word here. But if Andy M. doesn't do this or that he should be fired. Trying Baez as a starter is a waste of time. But come on SG it is only November. Sorry SG i am not trying ot hurt your feelings. I guess i odn't understand that kind of attitude. I know it has been 11 losing years. SG it jsut doesn't hurt if Andy M doesn't get this or that done. ANd it won't hurt if Baez is tried as a starter. Sorry. This is just my opinion. Just some thoughts of mine. No harm meant to anyone.

Wow SG you sure are for firing, cutting or releasing people connected to the O's FO. There is just no harm or waste of time to let Baez try it as a starter. Will he fail? Most likely. But then just move him to the BP.

You know SG i usually like to read your posts. They are informative. But recentley you seem to be bashing the the FO. maybe bashing is too strong a word here. But if Andy M. doesn't do this or that he should be fired. Trying Baez as a starter is a waste of time. But come on SG it is only November. Sorry SG i am not trying ot hurt your feelings. I guess i odn't understand that kind of attitude. I know it has been 11 losing years. SG it jsut doesn't hurt if Andy M doesn't get this or that done. ANd it won't hurt if Baez is tried as a starter. Sorry. This is just my opinion. Just some thoughts of mine. No harm meant to anyone.

:rofl::rofl: This is really a funny statement knowing SG for my time on the OH.

If you read between the lines AM said was that it would probably be helpful for Baez to condition himself as a starter so when he goes into the bullpen, he's in better shape and can go longer.

There is absolutely no chance the Orioles entertain Baez as a SP for longer than maybe one start in spring training.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks this is anything. Baez' expectations, no matter the role, are about zero. If he manages to put up a 5.00 in 90 innings split between starting and relieving he'll have wildly exceeded expectations. If he's cut on March 11th, he's met expectations. What's the big deal?

The funny thing is, over his career, he's been average to above-average. It wasn't until 2007 that he completely imploded. What were the reasons? Could he have been hurt back then too?

I am all for giving Baez another shot to earn his paycheck. Maybe he overcomes whatever ailed him in 2007 to become a decent BP arm. The chances are slim, but he shouldn't be anywhere near consideration for the rotation. This is Baez just wanting to up his value for free agency after the season.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks this is anything. Baez' expectations, no matter the role, are about zero. If he manages to put up a 5.00 in 90 innings split between starting and relieving he'll have wildly exceeded expectations. If he's cut on March 11th, he's met expectations. What's the big deal?

Seriously. Baez is in the boat with Waters, Burres, Cherry, Cormier if we give him a new MiL deal, and a bunch of other guys who have a nominal shot at the roster but who we are expecting zilch from. He's in the "write off" category. It doesn't matter at all whether any of them come into camp as starters or relievers, if everything goes well this offseason we won't keep any of them in any role whatsoever. And if it doesn't go well, then, well, we're going to suck anyway. I don't care whether Baez sucks in the first inning and Burres sucks in the 5th inning or if it's the other way around.

AM: "Hey Peter...I think we need to do something about Baez. He's really going down hill, and I don't think he can be an effective member of the bullpen anymore. I think that we should..."

PA: "try him in the rotation? Genius! That's why I hired you AM. For great ideas like that. I'll call Baez now and tell him! He'll be so happy!"

We have enough options now that Baez shouldn't even be considered an option.

He threw 165 innings in 2002...He hasn't thrown more than 75 innings in any other season.

He is now 31...He is coming off of a major arm injury and he hasn't been good since 2005.

How on earth can anyone say this should even be tried?

It almost sounds like you're describing Ryan Dempster prior to 2008.

Why Bigbird? It sure won't hurt to see what he can do as a starter. If he fails then he goes ot the BP. Sorry i just don't see that it hurts anything to try. IMO

He shouldn't be anywhere near a starting rotation. We have young arms that need the playing time, not guys like Baez who hasn't started since 2K2 nor pitched since 2007. Well, the word pitched is questionable, let's say he hasn't pitched since 2005. ;)

AM: "Hey Peter...I think we need to do something about Baez. He's really going down hill, and I don't think he can be an effective member of the bullpen anymore. I think that we should..."

PA: "try him in the rotation? Genius! That's why I hired you AM. For great ideas like that. I'll call Baez now and tell him! He'll be so happy!"

Except that it was neither of their ideas.

Archived