Coby Mayo 2021

Sports Guy

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

With Adley's arrival in the Majors the competitive window begins next year.   I think Elias will be aggressive with is top prospects to get them to the majors as soon as its reasonable.

Mayo probably starts next season at A+ ball.

There is no window.  Pay attention to what Elias has said.  He's said that the goal is to continue to have good prospects come up through the system all the time and always be competing.  

WC, I know you take this stuff really seriously so I am worried that you'll have a stroke next year when they're not competitive...or not as competitive as you think they should be.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

If I had the time, a fun exercise would be to project where each top prospect or relevant fringe players starts ‘22, including Kjerstad and Baumler. 

Oh, I got a whole list of each team's 2022 roster for next spring on my home computer.   I play around with it every now and then.  Sometimes I have Cowser in Bowie and sometimes I have him Aberdeen.   I have Mayo in Aberdeen to start next year.   Cowser is supposedly the more advanced hitter but Mayo is probably the guy that other teams fear the most in that lineup.

Mayo's a fun first example of a handpicked prep.   I feel sure that in the spring before they let him in games he was receiving whatever is the very best instruction the new Orioles have to give someone they don't have college sized chunks of data on.

I generally feel like any high schooler with this much money in him should have been a good candidate to make Delmarva straight out, but can't argue with whatever he was doing in April/May/June so far.

I'll hope to see Creed Willems earlier next year, but Mayo is a good standard bearer so far.   I guess in Sarasota you don't use up as much energy riding buses, sleeping on floors, ordering combos, and that pitching machines are getting better all the time.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

That is one terrible rationale when the player is dominating the level over a sample size that while small, isn't nothing either.  Its not like he has only played 10 games or something.

Well, I already said I thought he’d be in hi A.   But where the line is between “small sample” and “big enough sample” is hard to say and reasonable people can differ.   I think the main thing in Mayo’s favor is that he’s not just doing well, he’s doing great.  Hope to see him finish strong this weekend.  

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

With Adley's arrival in the Majors the competitive window begins next year.   I think Elias will be aggressive with is top prospects to get them to the majors as soon as its reasonable.

Mayo probably starts next season at A+ ball.

I hope your first sentence is correct, but I'm going to need to see it with my own eyes before I believe it.

48 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I hope your first sentence is correct, but I'm going to need to see it with my own eyes before I believe it.

I think saying “the competitive window begins” is different from saying we’ll be competing for a playoff spot next year.  I see it more as that we are starting “ramp up” mode.   I do think there will be some impetus to get worthy prospects to the majors as soon as they’re realistically ready in order to complement Adley and (hopefully soon after) Grayson.   

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think saying “the competitive window begins” is different from saying we’ll be competing for a playoff spot next year.  I see it more as that we are starting “ramp up” mode.   I do think there will be some impetus to get worthy prospects to the majors as soon as they’re realistically ready in order to complement Adley and (hopefully soon after) Grayson.   

Yes, I believe that you also have the factor of all the "old" guys we drafted this year will be pushing up from below, so I expect less conservative initial placement and reasonably fast advancement next year.  At least that's what I hope.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

There is no window.  Pay attention to what Elias has said.  He's said that the goal is to continue to have good prospects come up through the system all the time and always be competing.  

WC, I know you take this stuff really seriously so I am worried that you'll have a stroke next year when they're not competitive...or not as competitive as you think they should be.  

Nothing that a margarita can't fix.

Have continuous good prospects arrive is the strategy. The WS is the goal.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That's what I am talking about.