Connolly: Trade Deadline thoughts

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I asked because I wanted everybody’s thoughts, but I do not think his performance was meaningless in terms of trade value. 
I don’t and never did expect a hyperbolic return such as you suggest, but are any team that was interested in him before the derby is probably more so. How much, I don’t know, but the increase Is more than zero.

13 minutes ago, Philip said:

Thanks

39 minutes ago, Philip said:

Meanwhile, getting back to “trade deadline thoughts” I think his wonderful showing at the home run derby really boosted Mancini’s value, not to mention how genuine, humble, human he came across, especially compared to Alonso, who just makes you wanna punch him. 
I’m wondering if that performance by Mancini moved the needle meaningfully towards a trade?

Good lord man. Do you think Syd Thrift is still a GM? Any GM who would believe/think that deserves to be fired immediately. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think the main reason promotions have been much faster is there was uncertainty about initial placements due to the pandemic disruptions last year.  For the most part, the O’s were very conservative with their initial placements and it quickly became obvious that some people had been started too low.  So, they moved those players up.   

We will see how quick they are with further promotions.   Last Sunday was the midpoint of the MiL season, which runs to Sept. 19 this year (except for AAA, which runs to Oct. 3).    So any time between now and early August would be a pretty typical time for promotions.   

Well we will soon be injecting a whole bunch of newly 21 and 22 and even 23 year olds into the lower part of our farm system.   Whichever ones show the most promise will have to be promoted fairly rapidly over the next few years because it will make no sense to have a low A team full of 22-24 year olds next year, or a Bowie team full of 24-26 year olds a couple years down the line.

So I don't think that a conservative promotion process can last much longer given the composition of our minor league system.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias doesn't strike me as the type to want to extend someone like Mancini.  If word came out that was the case I'd wonder if ownership was instigating it.

Yeah, I think there's a better chance that they non-tender him than offer him an extension. 

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I don't know what Mundy will become, but to write him off as an Undrafted Free Agent in a five round draft year is a bit unfair.  In a normal year, he may have been a round 6-10 pick and we then might have had higher expectations.  I think that a lot of players taken last year and this year could have surprising careers, including undrafted free agents.  COVID had a huge impact on the scouting and drafting world over the past two years.  And, it will also provide some gut punches such as Kjerstad's situation.

No one is writing him off.   People are just scoffing at the notion that a good couple months in A ball mean should have any effect whatsoever on our planning at that position moving forward.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Wasn't Boog like 6'4"?

Yes. And played at between 250 and 270. 

Boog wasn't exactly fast.

The point being, there's a place for big slow guys that can smack the ball around.

Typically it's 1B.   If Mundy can scoop... he'll find a home.

16 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Yeah, I think there's a better chance that they non-tender him than offer him an extension. 

I don’t think they’ll offer an extension, and I don’t think they should. But I do think that if he is not traded they will offer him arbitration

Edited by Philip

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Well we will soon be injecting a whole bunch of newly 21 and 22 and even 23 year olds into the lower part of our farm system.   Whichever ones show the most promise will have to be promoted fairly rapidly over the next few years because it will make no sense to have a low A team full of 22-24 year olds next year, or a Bowie team full of 24-26 year olds a couple years down the line.

So I don't think that a conservative promotion process can last much longer given the composition of our minor league system.

With the demise of short-season A ball, it’s really hard to say how low A will be stocked.   Our two FCL teams are full of 18/19 year olds and I don’t know how many of them will be ready for low A next year.  Short-season A was a nice intermediate step for those guys.   

21 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Good lord man. Do you think Syd Thrift is still a GM? Any GM who would believe/think that deserves to be fired immediately. 

I made a comment and I justified it, you’re welcome to disagree if you wish. I stand by my thought that his performance in the home run derby increased his visibility and marketability, and possibly his trade value. We shall see